cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Smart Licensing - missing AP Licenses?

robmattocks
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

This has got me very confused, and I have not been able to get an answer so far from Cisco support, so hopefully someone may be able to shed some light:

I have two customers with Cisco 9800 Controllers. The first was installed last year using a 9800-L and 9115 APs. In this case the customer bought AIR-DNA-A licenses, one per AP. The licenses sit in their virtual account and are used by the controller without a problem.

The second site is currently being installed. This has a 9800-40 WLC and a mix of 9115, 1542 and legacy 2800 APs (the 2800s are on site and currently being controlled by a 5508). In this case the licenses are AIR-DNA-E, one per AP (including the legacy ones). In this case, when an AP is connected to the controller (either legacy or new) the controller shows the license as out of compliance, and the customer virtual account shows the AP Perpetual Networkstack license as not being available in the account.

What I am not sure about is why these are missing - in both cases I ordered the DNA license under just that part number, and in the first account the AP Networkstack licenses show and are in use.

Can anyone help? Do the AP licenses need ordering separately for AIR-DNA-E licenses?

thanks

Rob

21 Replies 21

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Take a look at this blog.  It breaks it down very simple.  In the end, when you migrate from AireOS to IOS, all ap's will need a DNA license.

Cisco Wireless Licensing | SketchingTech

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,
That makes sense, and that is what I have done - for each AP in the two customer installations I have a DNA license. The problem I have is the fact that in one installation when an AP is connected to the controller the AP uses one DNA license and one AP Networkstack license, but in the second installation the AP uses one DNA license but the AP networkstack license is showing as not available - it doesn't stop the AP from connecting, but it does give me a big red "OUT OF COMPLIANCE" message on the controller licensing page and flags an alert in the smart account.
I thought - and everything I read from cisco says - that the AP network license was either bundled with the DNA license or was embedded in the AP and activated by the DNA license. What I cannot determine is whether the AP Network license needs ordering separately in this case, or whether I have to put up with the compliance warning - I have a feeling that if that was the case the AP would stop working when the DNA license expires.
In short - when I ordered AIR-DNA-A licenses, AP Perpetual Networkstack Advantage licenses were included. When I ordered AIR-DNA-E licenses, AP Perpetual Networkstack Essential licenses were NOT included. Is this something you have seen?
Thanks

Rob

I will be honest, I haven't ran into this yet, because its only in testing right now and I haven't had the change to migrate sites yet due to budget and lead times.  Have you reached out to TAC license as they may be able to shed some light.  They would look at what you have already.

-Scott

That was the first thing I did - I opened a TAC case, and also asked my account manager at the company I bought the kit from to look into it. The TAC contact will not or can not help until I provide the purchase order number, and the order number I have been given by the supplier isn't in Cisco's records, so I am stumped, hence trying the forum. Note also that this isn't a migration - this is a new installation using brand new kit. There are some legacy APs that will be moved over, and I have bought DNAs for them, but until I can get to the bottom of this I can't take the risk of moving to the new platform.
It looks like I will have to buy another DNA-E license and see what I get - perhaps I can RMA the old licenses as DOA!

Rob

You need to escalate to the company you purchased the equipment from.  They should be able to open up a TAC case on your behalf also.  Did the company add the license to your smart account or were you able to do that?  

-Scott

Agreed - I have been chasing them to try and get this resolved. They did allocate the licenses to my account, and (as far as I can determine) they placed the order directly with Cisco, but I am not too impressed with the post sales support, I have to say.
I have found another Cisco email address - ask-catalyst9800licensing@cisco.com - and have asked the question of them, so fingers crossed I get a reply.

It may be that the essentials DNA license does not include the AP license, in which case my customer will have to buy new DNAs in three years, but I do wish this was made clear - If I had known I would have recommended the advantage license despite the price difference.

It would be nice to get rid of the compliance warning, too, if possible. I did think I had got the hang of Smart Licensing, but it looks like I was wrong.

Rob

Well keep us updated... would like to hear the end result.

-Scott

Will do - thanks for taking an interest
Rob

Hi,

When the order is placed you can define the recipient smart account details in CCW. You will see 2 smart account's one is end customer smart account and the other one is holding smart account. From my experience what happens is that Cisco teams sometimes transfer only half or some of the licenses belongs to that order to the end customer smart account and other's they just put it on the holding smart account (usually the partner smart account who processed the order for you) or they simply don't assign some licenses.

So the best thing to do is open a case with licensing team, it is must that you need to provide cisco sales order or purchase order number so licensing tac team can look at  your order and assign the required licenses to correct account.

Also if you are not planning to use DNA center, then only consider renewing the DNA licenses, otherwise let it expire. Network Advantage/essentials for each AP is permanent and it will not expire.

Hi Arshadsaf,
Thanks for the suggestion, that certainly sounds like a possibility to me. I will continue to chase my supplier and hopefully will get this resolved
Rob

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Also interested to hear what the outcome is.

You didn't mention what version of IOS-XE you're using? (ideally recent version like 17.6.x with SLUP which is the latest version of smart licensing).

You should also be able to find the relevant order number by looking up an AP serial number (from the same order) on https://mce.cisco.com/mce/#/devices and then see exactly what was on that order on the Orders menu.

Thanks for the link to the entitlement list - sadly as the APs are so far not installed they are not showing up on here yet. It will certainly be useful in the future though.

I have managed to get hold of the cisco order number from my supplier (I didn't buy direct from a Cisco distributor) and have given it to Cisco, but apparently the AP licenses (SKU AIR-DNA-NWSTACK-E) were not purchased when the DNA licenses were purchased. I have gone back to my supplier and asked them to try and purchase these separately - I can only find one site offering them for sale (although they are out of stock) at $0.01 each. Fingers crossed they will get to the bottom of it eventually. All the Cisco documentation I can find shows these licenses as included automatically with a DNA license, but I would really prefer not to have to order another 49 DNA licenses just to get a free component of them.

As to the IOS version, I have so far left the 9800-40s on 16.10, which is what they shipped with. It took seven months from order date for the equipment to arrive (by which time the 1542s had gone EOL) and then Christmas plus other projects got in the way of the installation, so I have held off ordering a support contract until the kit is ready to go live - at the rate this install is going the contract will have expired by the time the kit is up and running!

Rob

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Ha ha I feel your pain!

The serials and orders should be in MCE regardless of install state but maybe they "belong" to your supplier rather than you so you can't see them.

I can't understand how they could have left out AIR-DNA-NWSTACK-E as it is populated on the order by default as a zero cost item when you order AIR-DNA-E and you cannot even remove it manually! 

You can see this is Figure 4 here: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9100ax-access-points/guide-c07-742134.html#HowtoOrderaCiscoDNAWirelessSubscription

So maybe you go back to Cisco and the supplier and question why/how it was left off and make it their problem to sort it out - they should have known to include it regardless.

I actually took a screenshot of exactly that image and sent it to Cisco as part of the support call dialogue, in the hope that it would get the required response. The reply I received was:

Hi Rob,

You need to purchase that license from the cisco sales team because if it is not included in the sales order, It is not possible for me to provision the licenses without entitlement.

Please let me know if anything else needed.

So I have gone back to my supplier to try and get them to sort things out.

The only thing I can think is that I have been supplied with DNA renewal licenses, which logically would not include the AP license, but given that I ordered the APs (or at least most of them) at the same time that seems pretty unlikely.

Having said that, I am starting to think that anything is possible

Rob

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card