cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

wireless speed calculation

Teoh Chee Hin
Level 1
Level 1

Please refer to my pic below:  example, i do have one switch, with all LAN ports (1Gbps) and my wireless ap, connected to this one of the port  Q1 Let say my wireless ap, can support up to 54mbps, and how much speed for each clients if  1. only 1 user connected to wifi 2. if 10 users connected to wifi  Q2 may i know is it 54mbps - 1 user, then if 10 users, 54mbps/10 = 5.4mbps per user.. or need to reduce some for the buffer or etc ?    Q3. but even after connected to wifi, the backbone still 1Gbps.. so how to calculate?  NOTE: please ignore that interference, location, material (concrete wall, glass, etc) first..   I just want the simple calculation

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In theory, what you have is how its calculated on the AP.  The gigabit ethernet is another calculation depending on how much oversubscription you will be doing from the AP.  Its just like how you calculate oversubscription on the link from the access switch to the core.  In an idela world, 54mbps can happen, but the more users and environmental variables will reduce the modulation on devices. So look at your gigabit port as a seperate calculation than that on the wireless AP.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Take a look at this blog post by Andrew VonNagy.  He's talking about HD design, but the theory stays the same.

http://revolutionwifi.blogspot.com/2013/03/high-density-wi-fi-design-part-1.html

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Ravi Singh
Level 7
Level 7

The speed of a wireless network depends on several factors particularly  the protocols being used. The signal range a WiFi wireless network  supports also affects its overall speed. These frequently asked  questions cover the essential concepts in wireless network performance

It's the maximum data rate that the WiFi network can theoretically  support. To achieve sppeds approaching 54 Mbps, the router and its  client computer must be close together (probably less than 1 or 2  metres), and there must be no other traffic using the wireless network.

Also, there must be minimal interference from other networks in the  area. Any other networks that are nearby on the same channel or within  about 3 or 4 channels either side can affect the performance.

Both the router and the client computer's WiFi adapter must support the  'N' specification. If the computer is only a 'G' specification device

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card