cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Video Streaming

sagargarg87
Level 1
Level 1

Use Case: 80 users connected to a wireless network. The wireless network has HD videos in its cloud storage and it is intended to allow users to stream this content on the BYOD devices. The users are free to chose content they want to view. Internet will not be shared with these users. Will a 3x4/4x4 Dual Band 802.11ac MU MIMO soc work in this case? Intention is to use only one Access Point for all users.

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to perform some calculations to determine if one access point will provide enought bandwidth for 80 users. Remember that the AP is connected to only a single gigabit link and witless is half duplex.  Determine how large the HD stream will use and you can calculate how many users per AP.

Just to guess, a minimum 2 access points unless you believe that maybe less than 40 users will connect.

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

We are planning to use aironet 1600/2600 series using video streaming server having streaming optimization..I think that will help us maintaining the throughput

I would go for some 2700's, which are the successors of the 2600's, have 802.11ac support but goes for the same price.

We are planning to use aironet 1600/2600 series using video streaming server having streaming optimization..

1600/2600 AP don't support 802.11ac.  Next, 2600 is 3x4:3.  

Personally, if you're going to push HD streaming down, I wouldn't recommend anything other than a 3700. 

We've done a similar exercise a few months ago where we lined up between 50 to 60 Chromebooks.  All the Chromebooks were associated to a single AP and we streamed HD video from the site (where we were doing the testing) all the way to the site where the HD video was stored, our DC.  We had no problems whatsoever and the 3700 GigabitEthernet interface wasn't even hitting 40% utilization.  (Our access switches have 1 Gbps uplink to the site distro.  The site distro has a 1 Gbps uplink all the way to the DC.)

When we tried using our cheap-a$$ HP Mini netbooks, we had difficulty getting them to stream the videos even with 5 of these netbooks because the CPU of the netbooks simply couldn't cope.  

What I would like to ask is this:  How important is the capabilities to have seamless streaming of HD videos down to the clients?  If it's that important, then don't skimp on the choice of AP.  When you're dealing with wireless, it's more expensive to look at the price of the APs and then regret later than get the best AP for the job.

We cannot use an ac router because most of the devices in India do not support ac yet except for Nexus and Apple. Since the use will be primarily on smart phones so we will have to work with b/g/n only

If your choice is between the 1600 and 2600, then I would go with the 2600.  The amount of HD video you can stream is dependent again on the AP, wired infrastructure and the client.  You would really have to test that yourself.  I have seen things vary like what Leo has mentioned. 

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Since the use will be primarily on smart phones so we will have to work with b/g/n only

Ummmm ... 802.11 b/g only and HD video streaming for >30 people?  Not going to be easy.  3 channels to play with.  SO this means it'll be good if you can disable 802.11b data rates and force the APs to use 802.11g. 

abwahid
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

If you shared the AP model , which you are planning to purchase then we easily comment on it.

Moreover as you have mentioned you want 80 users connect and stream HD videos then definitely you have to do some calculation keeping in mind bottle neck is WAN port of AP which would not be more than 1Gig.

& it is very clear as you increase the number of user on access-point, performance on each user would be decrease.... due to shared wireless bandwidth..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: