Views
Helpful
Replies

WiSM2/WLC design

amar_5664
Level 1
Level 1

Hi experts,

We are in middle of deploying WiSM2s on our network, from a design point of view i am confused on where to position the WiSM2s. We have 2 DCs and from best practice architecture view WLCs should not be placed on the Data Centre segment, but it seems that is the only option i have.

DCs host 6509s, i am planning to host 1 WiSM in each DC, all clients will be on seperate subnet. Do you foresee any issues with this deployment or any security issues?

authentications are followed as per cisco recommendation, clients authenticated against AD through ACS so it is fairly secure.  Will appreciate any advice.

Cheers

AP

3 Replies 3

b.garczynski
Level 1
Level 1

Amar,

Since you are going to install the WISM2 you will be limited to where your chassis is physically installed. If we are operating under the assumption that all, or at least most, of the traffic sent to the WISM2 will eventually hit the data center I do not se a reason to move them. On the other hand if you have a lot of peer to peer wireless traffic such as voice calls and pages you may want to consider some HREAP configuration. Placement of the WISM2 will not have any affect on the authentication/encryption that you will use. Ideally when planning a new WLC/WISM(2) deployment I like to use all local mode APs with a WLC/WISM(2) at each site as well as a WLC in the DMZ to use as a mobility anchor. If you provide more specific details such as client type, traffic path, and number of clients per location I can help you with something more specific to your design.

Thanks,

Thanks for the input, it is a centralized deployment so all of the traffic will be sent to WISM2s. We did consider HREAP in first place but i am also working on implementing NAC so as a best practice cisco recommended to have wireless traffic traverse WiSM as it will make is easier when implementing NAC solution.

We do not have a huge set of wireless users at this stage, appreciate your input regarding this.

I agree on this. +5

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card