cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLAN Switching Policy: Flex NAT/PAT

Jeff A.
Level 1
Level 1

I'm wondering if someone can explain the Flex NAT/PAT feature within the Embedded Wireless Controller? I'm familiar with the local switching which is done by default, but am struggling to find some information about how Flex NAT/PAT works.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Flex NAT/PAT basically NAT's the traffic generated by Client connected to the AP to AP management IP address. So let's say that you have some AP's deployed in remote branches in Flex Connect mode and you have clients connecting to it requires to speak to a DHCP server in the HQ where the foreign controllers are hosted, in that case you will enable Flex NAT/PAT along with Central DHCP option under the Policy profile. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/config-guide/b_wl_16_10_cg/flexconnect.html#concept_FC84F350446D4D76A965400D13DA122A

Remember this method is there to support you for very unique requirements, but as a rule of thumb I try to not get involved in to these kind of scenarios as much as I can as this will induce more complexity. 

Also this to work you need to have IPv4 DHCP Required ticked and DHCP server IP Address configured under the policy profile advanced tab.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Flex NAT/PAT basically NAT's the traffic generated by Client connected to the AP to AP management IP address. So let's say that you have some AP's deployed in remote branches in Flex Connect mode and you have clients connecting to it requires to speak to a DHCP server in the HQ where the foreign controllers are hosted, in that case you will enable Flex NAT/PAT along with Central DHCP option under the Policy profile. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/config-guide/b_wl_16_10_cg/flexconnect.html#concept_FC84F350446D4D76A965400D13DA122A

Remember this method is there to support you for very unique requirements, but as a rule of thumb I try to not get involved in to these kind of scenarios as much as I can as this will induce more complexity. 

Also this to work you need to have IPv4 DHCP Required ticked and DHCP server IP Address configured under the policy profile advanced tab.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card