Helpful
Replies

WLC 2500 not allowing mobiles to connect

C K
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have the below setup.

Router connected to ISP (working fine), DHCP is configured and giving out 192.168.2.x IPs on the LAN side.

Router is connected to POE switch and all the ports are working fine and receiving IPs from the DHCP.

WLC 2500 is connected to the PoE switch on Port 1. WLC is setup with default settings. nothing fancy.

Fault:

WLC is working fine as it allows laptops and IPads to connect to the Wi-Fi network but its not allowing any mobiles to connect. Apple, Android, Windows!!

Its a bit strange as we have not setup any policies, its on default settings. In the best practices we only fixed the issues that was fixed by the system itself we ignored the manual setups, The score is 36/50.

Can you please let me know where i need to make a change for it to allow every device that has the correct Wi-Fi pass code?

Thanks

K

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Update:

Issue has been resolved. It was the neighboring wireless router that was interfering with our AP. When we asked the client to turn off their Wireless router for testing then everything started working all fine.

Now the question is how to isolate or ignore neighboring rouge router signals?

Thanks

View solution in original post

Is the neighbor using the same SSID as you are? That would not work and can cause all kinds of issues.
Also a too weak signal / to much noise from the other AP can cause such issues. Also make sure you are not using the same channel on 2.4 and 5 GHz as the foreign router.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

C K
Level 1
Level 1
Sorry forgot to add,
Mobiles get the correct IPs and are able to connect to the Wi-FI network but are unable to go to internet.

It is hard to say what is wrong with knowing the current environment,  Please do provide more information, how your network topology,

how your network connect to internet.  in the patch from Mobile to Internet connection what all the devices connected ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi BB,

I found the difference between the devices that are able to connect and the devices that are able to get the IP but are unable to connect.

The devices that are working are connected to 802.11 (a/c) while the devices that are unable to surf are connected to 802.11 n
Also the 802.11vBBS supported and for the devices that are unable to connect says "not supported"

How can i force all devices to use 802.11 (a/c) may be that will for time being ease the problem.

Thanks

Hi,

How can i force devices to only use 802.11 a/c or change settings in 802.11n that matches 802.11a/c

Thanks

If the devices are getting an IP address via DHCP then the devices have connected and authenticated to the wireless network.

The issue is going to be more upstream generally speaking.

are they connecting to the same SSID and getting the same subnet as the working devices?

Are you using NAT to go to the internet, is this working?

Can they ping the default gateway? ping 8.8.8.8 resolve internal and external DNS entries?

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Haydn,

Wieless on my laptop connected to the same WLC is able to ping the gateway. My mobile gets the IP address and is able to ping all the local IPs but is unable to ping the gateway?
Not sure why it can not reach the router while other wireless devices can ?
your help is much appreciated.
Thanks

Check the IP configuration. Did it get the same network assigned as the laptop? Is the network mask and gateway the same between the two clients?

I agree, looks like subnet mask is misconfigured somewhere so part of the devices are getting an IP not routable. Check DHCP subnet mask for the SSID vs Subnet mask configured in the network for routing purposes.

Update:

Issue has been resolved. It was the neighboring wireless router that was interfering with our AP. When we asked the client to turn off their Wireless router for testing then everything started working all fine.

Now the question is how to isolate or ignore neighboring rouge router signals?

Thanks

Is the neighbor using the same SSID as you are? That would not work and can cause all kinds of issues.
Also a too weak signal / to much noise from the other AP can cause such issues. Also make sure you are not using the same channel on 2.4 and 5 GHz as the foreign router.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: