Replies

WLC 2504 (8.3) and AP 3602i Initial Configuration Help

ArchiTech89
Level 1
Level 1

Cat3560CX  >>>>>>  WLC2504  >>>>>>  AP3602i

gi0/x       Trunk       LAN1

LAN4        PoE        LAN

• I have a VLANx (10.x.x.0/24) for infrastructure configured on the Cat3560.
  • I have an AD server configured with a DHCP scope for 192.168.x.0/24.
  • I have a VLANy (192.168.x.0/24) for WLAN clients configured on the Cat3560 with a helper-address on the VLAN interface to the AD DHCP server.
  • The WLC web UI functions, the AP is connected, and the SSID is configured and visible over wireless.

Although I've looked all over, I can't figure how to "assign" the VLANy to the AP/SSID/WLAN so that it pulls an address from the AD DHCP scope. When attempting to connect, I get "Can't connect to this network" from Windows 10.

I tried to remove any security, but it still asks for a username and a password. I have a RADIUS server that used to authenticate to my infrastructure devices with, but I haven't used it in a while. I did try to configure it with the WLC, but I'm not sure how to validate that it's talking, short of Wire Shark which I haven't used yet.

If you have questions or need further info, I'll be happy to give it. If you'd like to just point me in the right direction, I don't mind doing my own due diligence/research.

Here's the bottom line for me. I think this should be very straightforward, but I'm missing it for some reason. And I'm hoping that I can indeed use this WLC, with the device itself having one subnet assigned for management, and another subnet for wireless clients when the AP is connected over one of the two the PoE ports. It seems like that's exactly what it's created for--for smaller and medium business needs. Am I off here?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer...

ArchiTech89
CCNA Routing & Switching, CCNA Security
MCITP, MCTS
Berlin, Germany
1 Reply 1

Hi

Let´s try to solve the DHCP problem first.

"Although I've looked all over, I can't figure how to "assign" the VLANy to the AP/SSID/WLAN so that it pulls an address from the AD DHCP scope. When attempting to connect, I get "Can't connect to this network" from Windows 10."

"I tried to remove any security, but it still asks for a username and a password. I have a RADIUS server that used to authenticate to my infrastructure devices with, but I haven't used it in a while. I did try to configure it with the WLC, but I'm not sure how to validate that it's talking, short of Wire Shark which I haven't used yet."

If you are using Radius or PSK this means that clients needs to authenticate first then get an IP address. From your message, it seems that clients are not able to connect due authentication problem.

I suggest you to create a PSK SSID and then connect to it just to make sure the client can get an IP address.  If so, then we can extend the troubleshooting to the radius problem.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card