Views
Helpful
Replies

[WLC 3504 and 3802i access points] Wifi issues with Chromebook

kevinmelka1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have a Cisco WLC 3504 controller in version 8.5.131 and WiFi 3802i access points in Cisco Aironet also in version 8.5.131.

Indeed, we have Chromebooks that can't connect all the time to the Devoteam_5Ghz SSID (SSID created only in 5Ghz).

Sometimes, they succeed to connect but sometimes they are not be able to connect at all (error message "Out of range" on the Chromebook).

We checked that all the Chromebooks in question are compatible on the 5Ghz frequency band.

We checked the Chromebook logs through the developer mode and saw the following error messages :

2019-03-20T17:52:09.914819+01:00 ERR wpa_supplicant[647]: nl80211: Failed to open /proc/sys/net/net/ipv4/conf/wlan0/drop_unicast_in_l2_multicast: No such file or directory

2019-03-20T17:52:09.914824+01:00 ERR wpa_supplicant[647]: nl80211: Failed to set IPv4 unicast in multicast filter

Is there not a parameter on the WLC controller that would prevent Chromebook connection at times ?

For your information, we don't have any issue on Windows PCs and MACs.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely.

Kevin MELKA

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- We have seen regular issues with Chromebooks in the forum. For starters don't disallow the lower data  rates in your WiFi environment because the apparently sometimes insist that they are available.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hello,

Very interesting point.

Tonight, my colleagues and me have an operation to perform some tests with the WLC and the Chromebook.

Regarding your point, we will test the data rates parameters.

If you have other recommandations for Chromebook, it could be very helpful :).

I will let you know if your recommandation will work tonight ;).

Thanks a lot for your help :).

Best regards.

Kevin MELKA

Although it probably doesn't fix your chromebook issue, also consider upgrading to 8.5.140.0, which fixes various other bugs with the 3800 series. Sadly a possible reboot bug in the 3504 is still open in 8.5.140.0 :( Will be fixed in the next release (there is an open beta for production networks for 8.5MR5 here in the forum).
Release notes 8.5.140.0: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn85mr4.html
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: