Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 4406 Migration to WLC 5508

I have to make a migration from a controller to oher.We have now in production a WLC 4406 with 90 AP in local mode and HREAP mode, and we have to change the WLC to other new model 5508.
Do somebody know which one could be the best method to do that???
Thanks for your HELP and Time....
6 Replies 6

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have not done it. BUT you could try taking the config from the 4400 and installing it on the 5500. I dont know if that would work, but perhaps someone else can comment ...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hi,

Yes it works but if you are doing x features not supported on 5508 then it will start yelling while you upload the configs..

Then if you call TAC, you will be told not supported...

Personally, it won't harm to build the configs from scratch . Its worth it..

Thanks..Salil

Yes it works but if you are doing x features not supported on 5508

It should be fine because there are no features in the 4400 that is not supported in the 5508.  If the situation was reverse, however, then I would not recommend it because there are some features in the 5508 that the 4400 won't understand.

Hi Leo,

Not necessarily true. Have a look at release notes :

Link : http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn7_0_116_0.html

Section : Features not supported on 5500 Wireless Lan controller.

Thanks..Salil

Ths is true Salil, but very few companies are running the VPN module in the 4400.  thankfully it was EOL'd shortly afte Cisco bought Airespace.

and the upload check that runs, will alert you to any config that is wrong.

HTH,

Steve

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate helpful posts or to mark the question as answered so that it can be found later.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

I'm with Salil... Build the 5508 from scratch to avoid "legacy" configuration that you don't need or understand.

It only takes a couple hours to build a 5508 from scratch.

If you want to be clever, once they're both running, you can migrate the AP's one at a time and your clients will be none the wiser.

Once all the AP's are off the 4406, shut it down.

Ven

Ven Taylor
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card