Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5508 after updating OUI.txt, device type unknown or unclassified

Diego Cairns
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I updated the oui.txt from the following link  http://standards.ieee.org/develop/regauth/oui/oui.txt, saved in a txt using notepad and notepad++, then did a restart and all the connected devices are not recognized anymore. I am on WLC5508 version 8.0.110. Any ideas how can I repair this? The WLC is on standalone and there is not ISE server. 

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

d

25 Replies 25

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you client on Wireless > Application Visibility and Control > AVC Applications, is there any applications listed or is it blank.  I have uploaded an oui.txt to a lab controller and had the same issue, but don't remember what code.  I had to upload the firmware on the WLC and reboot in order to get applications to show up again.

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott

Thanks for your fast reply. The applications are still there. Advanced Protocol Pack, version 9 engine 16.

Are you suggesting to reload the code AIR-CT5500-K9-8-0-110-0.aes ? If I do this, do I loose the configuration and the certificates I uploaded already?

Thanks

d

As long as you save the configuration, you will not loose anything.

-Scott

-Scott

Hi Scott

Did as you suggested, downloaded the code mentioned above, rebooted, but the issue is still there. If I run the command show profiling oui-summary string, I get no Oui present.

Any other ideas?

thanks

d

Hi Scott,

Do you think I will need to do a factory reset to solve this issue? Don't you have a oui.txt that works which I could try to install in the WLC5508?

Regards

d

Just to add more information, I have upgraded the WLC5508 to the latest version 8.0.115 and the issue is still there.

(Cisco Controller) >show profiling oui-string summary

No OUI Present.

(Cisco Controller) >

I will try to do a factory reset, and see if this solves the issue.

d

Confirm after reset to factory defaults, I still have the issue of oui not present. I will open a TAC case.

d

This is what the cisco documentation say:

The IEEE file containing the OUIs must be downloaded and saved as a .txt file from the following location: http://standards.ieee.org/develop/regauth/oui/oui.txt. Download the .txt file to the WLC, using tftp/ftp.

The only way this works is to go to the link, and in your web browser, do "Save page as file" and you select a name such as oui.txt. Then run the tftp and will work.  Doing copy paste on notepad does NOT work as it will corrupt the the oui on the controller. If you upgrade, downgrade or ever factrory reset will not repair the oui from the controller. 

hope it saves you some time in the future.

Diego

Diego,

Sorry for getting back so late... you are right... you need to save as.  There are times where uploading the OUI shows up as empty and if that happens, you just need to upload the code again and reboot.  That has fixed the issue for me in the past.

-Scott

-Scott

Sorry Scott but this did not fixed the issue to me. I upgraded to 8.0.115, downgraded 8.0.110, then to 7.6, did a factory reset, with the correct FUS, and still the oui was not there. 

Diego

Hi Diego,

We are facing the same issue. How were you able to resolve the issue?

Regards,

Anand

Hi Anand

Go to  http://standards.ieee.org/develop/regauth/oui/oui.txt and on you internet browser (Firefox, IE or Chrome) and find the option "save file as", and then enter oui.txt. Once you saved the file transfer it to the WLC and should work. 

Regards

Diego

You're right, that is the correct way to dowload the oui to the WLC.

Thanks,

Don't worry about the AVC:) was thinking of a different issue.  If you run this command on the CLI, do you see any output:

show profiling oui-string summary

This will sow you a list of the oui, if its blank, then uploading the firmware and rebooting will bring the default oui's back.

-Scott

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card