Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5508 automatically restarting twice in a week

meiyappan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have very strange issue with my wireless Lan controller. It reboots automatically.

Atleast in week, it restarts once or twice.

If i want to check any historical logs , i can not check since after restarting WLC , all logs will be cleared,

I get the logs from the time it restarts , starting with

COLD STARTS :

I am predicting the issue with temperature setting

right now the Internal temperature is +41 C

How do i check , what is the threshold set for temperature.

can anybody  suggest me anything about this ?

Cisco Controller  Product Version: 8.0.110.0

Kindly suggest how to resolve this issue 

96 Replies 96

Hi cmc,

We have not upgraded the WLC's 5500 we have (more than 6) because of this bug on the 8.0.110.0 / 115.0. However I was wondering if the FUS that you are using is the right one based on the information I got from the following link:

http://thewifiguy.net/2014/06/15/whats-all-the-fus-about/

We also have 4 WLC 8500 with 2 of them running 8.0.110.0 (test period in progress) because we are not sure if those bigger WLC's would face the same reboot issue even though Scott Fella has not seen any problem with them based on his note on this post.

I will check when I go back into work  I do see that a new version 7.0xxx has been released as of the 23 th   Thanks

the first one that failed had  8.11.0 and 1.7 fus  the second one that is failing has 8.115 and 1.9 fus

I went back to my notes to check

the 3rd one Rma one has 80115 and 1.9 but is a different build date by one year I will try monday

to put the Rma one live and see what happens I think also I will rma the second one that is restarting

Thanks for the help I have a feeling you are righr When I get the new rma one I will leave at 1.7 and 7.6

I have a lot of 5508's running v7.6.130.0 with FUS 1.9.0.0 and no issues. I'm thinking the issue has to be with v8.0.x.

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

we have a huge list of customers and never saw this issue with version 7.6.x

The strange thing is, that in our lab we're running 8.0.110 and also 8.0.115.0 tested and never saw a reboot.... Also many 2504 running in 8.0.x running with no reboots...

I need to know if there are some reboot issues are known with a WISM2 on 8.0.x

and what about a workaround for this bug. We have customers buying 1702 AP's and we are forced to use 8.0.x

THX!!!!

That is tough to say, if a WiSM2 would have this issues or not. We also have a lot of customers on the WiSM2's but not really on any v8.0.x code. WiSM's had their own issues with reboots in the past, but seems like that issues has been resolved.  We do have customers on v8.0.110.0 on 5508's and haven't heard of any reboot issues.  We have v8.0.110.0 and v8.0.115.0 on sme 8510's that haven't rebooted.  Your best bet is to reach out to your Cisco SE and see if they have any inside news they can tell you. You can also open up a TAC case and see if they have a TAC release or a preferred code to run.  It's hard to say what the workaround would be unless you see forum post on the subject and a fix. Like was mentioned in a previous post, some of the workarounds before was to disable WebAuth and or mDNS, but if that is part of your design, you can't really follow that workaround.  

Maybe start a new thread specific to the WiSM2 and v8.0.x code to get others to chime in if they have had issues or not.

-Scott

-Scott

Hi Scott,

I saw that Razmir has also a WISM2 in HA mode runinng and has also the reboots all 3-4 days.

I'll open a TAC case. Because an upgrade to 8.0.115.0 is planned very soon and no way out....

THX

Stephan

That would be the best.  See what they say and if their is a current fix for that or not.  Would be interested to see if they do.  Keep us posted on this TAC case you will open:)

-Scott

-Scott

The 8510 being different hardware has actually a different code version. The 2504 and 5508 for example share the same image.  We have 8510's running v7.6.130.0 and some on a TAC release on v8.0.x but that's was for another issue.  I don't have he detail on that piece. My peers who have the 8510's running v8.0.x have not told me of any issues with the controllers rebooting, so maybe it's something with just the 5508's.  I have a 2504 at home but I'm running a beta, but haven't had that reboot on its own. 

-Scott

-Scott

sobhardw
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In order to solve the issue please upgrade the Firmware.

Also, Please verify If there is any check mentioned in the controller to reset it every time.

- Use 'reset system cancel' to cancel the reset.

eglinsky2012
Level 3
Level 3

Hi everyone,

Any updates on this issue? Personally, I'm going to stay with whatever Cisco's recommended version is (at the moment 7.6.130, which has still been flawless for us). But I'm curious about the latest versions... I recall earlier in this discussion that 8.0.115 did not solve the problem. Now there's an 8.0.120 and even an 8.1.111. Are these releases doing any better? Are there any significant differences in 8.1?

I have been running 8.0.110.6 on 5508 and 8.0.110.0 on 8500 with no issues for at least 3 months. However, from the following post, looks like the recent version is stable. BTW, I am not planning any upgrade from my current version.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12559896/anyone-using-811020ed-5508#comment-10670281

Thanks for pointing that out. I now see that Cisco actually recommends 8.0.120.0, so I think I'll go with that.

reberhardt001
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

Any updates on this issue? I am running 8.0.121.0 on a 5508 and it reboots every 13 days or so. I also am not getting a Crash Log. TAC's only suggestion was not to run Unicast mode but I need to use it to use FlexConnect on our AP's.

I know this is an older post, but I have the reboot problem as well. I was running Unicast, but didn't need this. I have multicast on now, so I was wondering if that is a true fix for this 5508 reboot issue. I am running 7.6.130.37 code and have no crash logs showing, but once in a while, sometimes twice a week, the controller reboots. Was a bug ever identified?

Hi Sean,

I am running unicast on both 5508 and 8510 with no issues for AppleTV for more than a year. You are running a pretty old code. I installed the MR3 version = 8.0.132.0 and this one has been stable for more than 1 month so I suggest you to go with that one. That version was recommended by Cisco BU + TAC.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card