Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5508 high availability

Hello,

Today I have two WLC 5508 (with license for 100 AP each of them), on a single site.

The WLC are operating in high availability (active-standby).

However we have a new scenario, with 02 sites: A and B (attachment).

I would like to know if it is possible to work as follows:

The WLC-A as the main controller of site A. WLC-B as a backup (secondary controller) of WLC-A.

The WLC-B as the main controller of site B. WLC-A as a backup (secondary controller) of WLC-B.

For example:

If WLC-A falls, Site-A Access Points are managed by site B's WLC-B, and vice-versa.

Is that possible?

How can I configure the new scenario? Remember, there will be a site-to-site between Site A and Site B.

Another point:

If I add more 50 APs on Site A. How does the license issue work?

Will I need to buy license for both WLC?

Tks,

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>....

>...is that possible ?

No , high availability in controller-terms is meant to be what is says, the backup controller can only be in 'full'-stby and can not play any other roles.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Ok M.

I understood. So I have two options:

first: I buy more two WLC and I built a distinct WLAN for Site B.

Second: I centralize the WLC cluster and I working with FlexConnect

Is my reasoning  correct?

I would go with option 1) , I have not used FlexConnect myself but here are things to consider

- In FlexConnect mode the user-data goes directly on to the network from the AP, this means easier access to the network from wireless devices (for instance). Wireless is by definition a far more easy path to the network, then a network socket at your desk. Flexconnect may make it more difficult to isolate and identify 'bad sources' on the (wirless) and to the-end on the global network. So for IntrAnets with a high security requirements there is a possible security penalty. If you use the setup to bind 2 sites together; then the security penalty may be doubled....

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

antmatrix
Level 1
Level 1

You will have to break the HA and use controllers as N +1  and have one site point to controller A as primary and controller B as secondary and the opposite for site 2. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card