cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5520 Factory Shipped CIMC 4.0(1a) greater than recommended 3.0(4d)

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hello

Brand new 5520 out of the box was shipped with CIMC 4.0(1a) 

We intend running 8.5.151.0 on this appliance and the release notes state to install 3.0(4d)

Even the latest 8.9.111.0 say the same thing.  No mention of CIMC 4.0 anywhere.

Questions

• Is it ok to stay on the 4.0(1a) release or is it mandatory to be on 3.0(4d)?
  • Can WLC run an even newer version of CIMC (4.0.2h) without breaking the WLC system? Customer is very security conscious and wants to know we have applied latest CIMC if supported.

regards

Arne

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Arme,
Upgrade CIMC to, a minimum of, 4.0(2)f due to multiple CIMC vulnerabilities (READ).

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hi Arne,

It should be ok. I would double check with TAC for sure.

I would not downgrade CIMC that came with 5520.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Arme,
Upgrade CIMC to, a minimum of, 4.0(2)f due to multiple CIMC vulnerabilities (READ).

Ok if that’s safe to do then I will do so. If you tried doing that to an ISE server you end up breaking the appliance because of Secure Boot. 

I just finished upgrading several 8540 CIMC from 3.0 to 4.0(2g) before this news broke.
The upgrade takes about 65 to 70 minutes per unit.
If you want to breakdown of the times, let me know and I'll post it tomorrow.

Hi @Leo Laohoo 

thanks for the positive confirmation. I only have two 5520 controllers to upgrade. I have downloaded the ucs-c220m4-huu-4.0.2h.iso and I will mount it via the vKVM.  Luckily I am in a preparation phase and therefore I am not time constrained.  My main aim is to NOT brick the brand new appliance ;-)

regards

Arne

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card