cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 8510 and latency

charliey_2000
Level 1
Level 1

I know the 8510 is suppose to support 6000 APs and 65,000 clients.  Does anyone know if Cisco has released any information based on throughput.  The reason I ask is because with 4300 APs and 32,000 clients we are seeing an average of over 150ms ping latency in our peak times.  The amount of bandwidth traffic is about 5 Gbits of traffic if you combine inbound and outbound.   I have other controllers running the same version of code with over 5000 APs but less clients that do not exhibit this behavior.   So basicly a 8510 controller with less APs but more clients is showing ping latency of over 100ms but other controllers with more APs but less clients do not exhibit this behavior.  CPU is showing average of 6% on the controller with latency.  Thanks.

3 Replies 3

M. Wisely
Level 4
Level 4

The data sheet states that max throughput is 10Gb/s. Where are you seeing the latency?

I did see that in the documentation but I was not sure if it was documented as such since the controller has 10 Gig interfaces.  The latency can be seen pinging any interface on the WLC.  It definitely seems to be traffic related as the latency will increase as the traffic increases. 

charliey_2000
Level 1
Level 1

For anyone else having this issue I moved some sites off the controller and it did fix the issue.  We have balanced our controllers so that they do not exceed 5Gbps of traffic.  Not sure if others will have that flexibility. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card