Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 8510 syslog alternative port - not 514

Good day,

I am looking for a way, CLI or GUI to change the syslog port from 514 to 1514 or other as our log server is not able to listen on 514. I've looked in both but do not see any place to change this.

Any ideas would be welcomed.

Thanks

MP

3 Replies 3

Ric Beeching
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Michael,

Not particularly useful info but I don't think you can achieve this with the WLC.. seems a bit odd your log server doesn't support the standard syslog port.

Ric

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

Hi Ric,

I did a lot of digging but didn't see any hint on how to change this in the WLC. Its a funky Syslog server already listening on port 514 for logs from somewhere else that also doesn't have the ability to edit their default port.

Cheers

MP

I am sure the server can listen on the standard port.  All can.  They are probably using something like Splunk (as do we) and it can be setup to listen on different UDP ports which can give it more control on how to do different things with the incoming flow.  So, instead of putting in all our switch source addresses into the syslog server, we just say that anything coming in on UDP 10xx is a switch.  That UDP port goes into our config template for switches.  Much easier to scale.  

It appears the WLC cannot change that port, which is a big miss IMHO.  Every other network device we have can do that fairly basic task.  

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card