csweinberg
Level 1
Level 1

We have around 6000 AP3600 Air-cap3602I-A-K9 both AP and WLC are on 8.5.135.0

We have our 8510 sending Traps for:

Link UP/Down

AP Register

AP UP/DOWN

We get many AP interface status DOWN traps that generate incident tickets examples below:

AP interface status DOWN: Heartbeat Timeout

AP interface status DOWN: New Discovery

AP interface status DOWN: Radio Admin State Change

AP interface status DOWN: Deauth client completed.

AP interface status DOWN: Max Re-transmission

I have a few questions

Should I be able to see the above trap messages in SNMP trap logs?

I never see trap messages incidents for AP interface status UP

Is there a way we can automate and check if an AP is REGISTERED to its controller????

Seems like AP's are sensitive to Border gateway Protocol Bounces in our routers at remote offices and generate taps when this happens

How are others receiving and getting  AP Down / UP  Traps that generate incident tickets......

Thanks for any info on this!

2 Replies 2

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
I use Prime Infrastructure for monitoring and/or in some instances simple Ping the AP IP monitoring tools.

You can SSH into the WLC and issue a 'show ap summary apname'.
Here an example with an existing and connected AP and a not connected one:

(Cisco Controller) >show ap summary 2802AC-2104-1

Number of APs.................................... 173

Global AP User Name.............................. xxxxxxx
Global AP Dot1x User Name........................ Not Configured

AP Name Slots AP Model Ethernet MAC Location Country IP Address Clients DSE Location
------------------------------ ----- -------------------- ----------------- -------------------- ---------- --------------- ------- --------------
2802AC-2104-1 2 AIR-AP2802I-E-K9 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx default location CH 172.16.xx.xx 8 [0 ,0 ,0 ]

(Cisco Controller) >show ap summary 2802AC-2104-2

Number of APs.................................... 173

Global AP User Name.............................. xxxxxxx
Global AP Dot1x User Name........................ Not Configured

AP Name Slots AP Model Ethernet MAC Location Country IP Address Clients DSE Location
------------------------------ ----- -------------------- ----------------- -------------------- ---------- --------------- ------- --------------

(Cisco Controller) >

So if it's disconnected the WLC will not report an AP.

If BGP flaps then you have a network connectivity failure and your APs are going down so you should expect to see traps for that obviously!
Yes you should see up traps but they actually come from a different MIB (yes...) - maybe that's why you're missing them?
Down: SNMPv2-MIB::snmpTrapOID.0 (1.3.6.1.6.3.1.1.4.1.0): 1.3.6.1.4.1.14179.2.6.3.8 (AIRESPACE-WIRELESS-MIB::bsnAPDisassociated)
Up: SNMPv2-MIB::snmpTrapOID.0 (1.3.6.1.6.3.1.1.4.1.0): 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.513.0.4 (CISCO-LWAPP-AP-MIB::ciscoLwappApAssociated)
Those are taken from Wireshark packet capture decodes of the traps in case you're wondering.
You could dampen the response to short outages - eg: wait 10 minutes if you receive AP down. If it's still down after 10 minutes then create trouble ticket. If you receive AP up in that time then the fault is cleared and you never open a ticket for it. Depends on whether your monitoring/ticketing is capable of doing that.

Rich

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card