Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC and and without WCS

noobieee7
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Anyone can point me to some post or documentation that points out what are the key differences are between WLC with and without the WCS? What are the things that the WLC can accomplish with and without the WCS?

Regards,

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Anyone can point me to some post or documentation that points out what are the key differences are between WLC with and without the WCS?

Don't look at WCS, instead look into Cisco Prime NCS.  Prime NCS will be replacing WCS within this year.

Back to your question ... We have a network where we "both" use the WCS and WLC.

A few things handy about WCS:

1.  Track users down to which WLC (if you have multiple WLC);

2.  Reporting;

3.  My favorite:  Schedule what time you want the SSID to be enabled or disabled; and

4.  Schedule what time you want to enable the WAP radios to be enabled/disabled.

I have 14 controllers and I sure don't want to configure them one-by-one, however, there are certain things I do with WCS and there are some controller-specific things I do to a controller. 

Hi noobieee7,

WCS is  a management too for APs and WLCs at any location .

here are the all imp  feauturs.

Feature

Benefit

Ease of Use

• Simple, intuitive user interface eliminates complexity

Scalability

• Manage hundreds of Cisco wireless LAN controllers and thousands of Cisco Aironet access points from centralized location

Centralized Security and Network Protection

• Cisco's unified wireless security solution integrates security alerts, alarms, adaptive wireless intrusion prevention system (wIPS) and Cisco CleanAir technology into a single unified platform, from a centralized view-making it unprecedented in the industry.

Monitoring

• Centralized monitoring of the entire WLAN helps maintain robust WLAN performance and an optimal wireless experience

• Cisco CleanAir provides detailed information about RF interference events, air quality, and interference security threats to help more efficiently assess, prioritize, and manage RF interference issues

• Easy-to-use graphical displays serve as a starting point for maintenance, security, troubleshooting, and future capacity planning

• Graphs, charts, and tables are interactive for quick configuration and reconfiguration

• Hierarchical mapping trees, color-coding, and icons support quick visualization and status assessments of the network, devices, and air quality

• Ever-present alarm summary provides robust fault, event, and alarm management

• Google Earth integration helps visualize and manage outdoor wireless mesh deployments

• Cisco Spectrum Expert can be utilized for Cisco Aironet access point enabled with CleanAir that are using the Cisco Spectrum Expert configuration

Troubleshooting

• Troubleshooting any size WLAN can be performed with minimal IT staffing

• Integrated workflows and tools help IT administrators quickly assess service disruptions, receive notices about performance degradation, research resolutions, and take action to remedy nonoptimal situations

• Alerts, summaries, and reports about air quality and interferers are included with Cisco CleanAir technology to help troubleshoot the RF environment and mitigate interference from Wi-Fi and non-Wi-Fi sources

• Ever-present search tool facilitates cross-network access to immediate and historic information

• Client troubleshooting tool supports a step-by-step method to analyze problems and mis-configurations for all client devices with support to identify RF interferers that are affecting client devices

• Radio resource management (RRM) tools provide visibility into performance, RF statistics and air quality

Reporting

• Extensive on-demand and automated reports can be run on immediate and historic network activity, performance, usage, devices, inventory, compliance, security and Cisco CleanAir.

• Payment Card Industry (PCI) report analyzes WLAN for potential noncompliant events

• Alarms and events can be forwarded to 3rd party north bound receivers and FCAPS applications that understand traps such as HP OpenView or IBM Tivoli Netcool.

• Report data, timeframe, and format is customizable

• Display options for charts, graphs, and tables provide enhanced flexibility

• Out-put reports in CSV or PDF format as a saved file or email

• Capacity planning is supported by trending together multiple reports for analysis

without WCS you can work with WLC but its very hard to manage all locations.

***Note: Not the cisco introduced a new tool Cisco Prime NCS.  Prime NCS is replaced WCS .

its a better tool and with this new you can manage your switches also.

if you need more help and need to know more detail about the products then better to contact with providers (Cisco partners).

Regards

Please rate if it helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: