Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC book to start with

mahesh18
Level 6
Level 6

Hi experts,

I have to support client with WLC   5508 and APs.

I am new to wireless field.

Is this good book to know about WLC  to start with

Deploying and Troubleshooting Cisco Wireless LAN Controllers

Mark L. Gress and Lee Johnson (Hardcover - Nov 19 2009)

Need to confirm before i buy it.

Thanks

MAhesh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marco Gonzalez
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Mahesh,

I was looking at that book ant it seems a very good option if you would like to understand how the wireless LAN controllers work, how to deploy wireless networks using WLCs and how to troubleshoot wireless issues with these devices. So, yes, I recomend you that literature if you want to have an overview of what you can do with the wireless LAN controllers.

The only issue that you are going to have is that the book will not cover the 5508 or any of the new wireless LAN controller like the 2504 or any of the new features that you can fine on the new versions (which are quite a few) or the new access points and their features like "Clean Air". All of this is because the publication date is November 19, 2009 (as per Amazon.com )  and all of the new products, features and software that I mentioned above are more resent than the book.

So, if you whan to have an up-to-date information about the WLCs, I recomend you to read the following:

Cisco 5500 Series Wireless Controller Installation Guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/wireless/controller/5500/install/guide/ctrl5500.html

And the whole configuration guide for the new 7.0 version:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/wireless/controller/7.0/configuration/guide/c70.html

You can also look for more information on Cisco.com for the new features like the 7.2 configuration guide, release notes for specific software releases, configuration examples etc.

I hope this information help you

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marco Gonzalez
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Mahesh,

I was looking at that book ant it seems a very good option if you would like to understand how the wireless LAN controllers work, how to deploy wireless networks using WLCs and how to troubleshoot wireless issues with these devices. So, yes, I recomend you that literature if you want to have an overview of what you can do with the wireless LAN controllers.

The only issue that you are going to have is that the book will not cover the 5508 or any of the new wireless LAN controller like the 2504 or any of the new features that you can fine on the new versions (which are quite a few) or the new access points and their features like "Clean Air". All of this is because the publication date is November 19, 2009 (as per Amazon.com )  and all of the new products, features and software that I mentioned above are more resent than the book.

So, if you whan to have an up-to-date information about the WLCs, I recomend you to read the following:

Cisco 5500 Series Wireless Controller Installation Guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/wireless/controller/5500/install/guide/ctrl5500.html

And the whole configuration guide for the new 7.0 version:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/wireless/controller/7.0/configuration/guide/c70.html

You can also look for more information on Cisco.com for the new features like the 7.2 configuration guide, release notes for specific software releases, configuration examples etc.

I hope this information help you

Hi Marco,

Thanks for putting your inputs.

I ordered that  book and will start learning about wireless world.

thanks

mahesh

My best wishes, You will see that wireless is fasinating world. If you have any questions or doubts just let me know.

Best regards,

Marco

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: