Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC CAPWAP traffic

Rafael Jimenez
Level 4
Level 4

Hello experts,

I started an implementation of a CT-5520, so far 15 APs 3802i have been deployed and there are about 60 clients that are connecting, the performance of the clients is not good (2Mbps aprxo Down), I want to confirm that the connection to the switch (wlc <-> switch) reached its limit (1x1Gb Port).

Due to technical limitations at the moment there is only 1x1Gb port connected.

I did a test with TamoSoft throughput between my PC (wireless conected) and another PC (wired connected), both pcs are on the same 5520 management vlan. The result is always the same 69Mbps TCP Up, 102Mbps Down.

The results of the test using speedtest.net on my pc (wireless) and internet, shows about 2Mbps down, (2Mbps, 5Mbps, 10Mbps Up !!!) witch is too bad. However, doing the test from the pc connected by cable with speedtest.net the result is close to ISP limit (greater than 100Mbps).

My pc is about 8ft from the AP and is capable of 150Mbps Channel Width: 40 MHz (1SS).

I don't have a netflow analyzer to check the  management interface/port utilization. on the switch side, the statistics are only in # of octets, no mbps or similar.

does any a similar experience, do I need change at least one SFP to a 10Gb?

Thanks.

25 Replies 25

The first time after the installation, I followed the best practices guide and the WLC config analyzer recommendations. Because the performance problem and after check all the LAN infrastructure, I just downgraded to 8.2.166, clear the config on the WLC and start from scratch, configuring the interfaces and wlans with all the defaults.
Now I'm doing the best practices commands, one by one, verifiying the wlan performance after each command before continues with the next.
May be in a weekend will try again 8.3 o higher version.

Raise a TAC Case and get them to identify the bug causing this issue.

I'm afraid to reconfigure settings like Channel Width, power, etc.
I just setup 802.11b rates above to 12Mbps.

You will get better throughput on 5ghz with a higher channel width like 40+. 20MHz channel width will provide the same throughput on either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz. I wouldn’t be afraid to change this to be honest. It’s backwards compatible with older wireless NICs.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

configuring back the "config advanced 802.11a channel dca chan-width best" the performance improved even more.

Anyway I am going to consult with the cisco TAC, to see if there is any problem with the released after 8.2.166

Thanks to Leo and Patoberli.

and thanks to Scott Fella.

Why the wlc dashboard shows only 1 spatial stream, no matter the client.

What means the Connection Score?

the pictures.

How can I setup band steering?

You probably don't want to use band steering, if you go for 40 and 80 MHz channels. Todays clients are usually smart enough to choose the faster 5 GHz 40 Mhz channels. Use this feature only if you have achieved a stable setup, as it will introduce some instability in the beginning.

**bleep**, one thing I forgot to mention twice now, make sure your AP is running at full power. That means a 802.3at (PoE+) port, otherwise it will disable some antennas I think. It should also log an error that it's running with insufficient power.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card