Helpful
Replies

WLC Date and Time lost after reset

rponte
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Pros,

I have a problem with one WLC 2504 running 8.0.140.0

The equipment is working fine, but after a hard reset i lost date and time, no other configurations are lost.

I have no NTP Server on my network because i have a RV130 and a SG300 and no one can be NTP Server (let me know if one can be and i dont know how), i try pointing to an external NTP Server but the ISP is blocking the port and unblock it from them is amoust impossible.

Thanks in advanced. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco appliances don't have dedicated chip to keep time.  The only way is to get something (except Windows-based systems) to authenticate to the NTP source and then the controller can synch to that.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco appliances don't have dedicated chip to keep time.  The only way is to get something (except Windows-based systems) to authenticate to the NTP source and then the controller can synch to that.

Hello Leo,

thanks for reply

I only have the RV130 and the SG300 and i cant make any of them act like and NTP Master Server.

I am looking for an alternative 

Talk to your ISP.  

I have never heard of an ISP blocking NTP from traversing through their network.   

I also have never heard of an ISP blocking NTP from traversing through their network AND not providing an alternative server so the ISP themselves can become a authoritative NTP server.

The other alternative, a very expensive one, is to purchase a dedicated GPS-based NTP server.  This appliance does not require access to the internet to synchronize to an authoritative NTP source, rather, this is an authoritative source. 

Ok, i will call them.

I try with other WLC 2504 without NTP Server configuration and it doesnt lost the time.

Thanks you Leo!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card