cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC different data centers - redundancy ports

Rene S.
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, we would like to migrate one wlc to our backup datacenter so we would have one wlc in one DC and the second wlc in the second DC.

(Firmwareversion is 8.0.120.0), I've read that only Layer2 connection between the redundancy ports is necessary so I would assign this ports to a specific vlan.. But on the WLC UI I saw that there is no possibility to edit the RP, so I cannot tag the interface...(as seen in the attached picture)

Is it even necessary to tag this interface on the wlc side?

thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

No need to tag that interface, as long as you directly connect two RP via CAT6 cable that's it. Refer below post for some config details

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12289031/5508-wlc-ha-pair-change-management-interface-settings

HTH

Rasika

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

No need to tag that interface, as long as you directly connect two RP via CAT6 cable that's it. Refer below post for some config details

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12289031/5508-wlc-ha-pair-change-management-interface-settings

HTH

Rasika

Thanks, migration worked (backup wlc is rebooting all the time, is there a way to change the timers? I guess they are set too short), moreover after I did failover testing the SSID for guest users which is configured to use central web authentication with ISE was disabled and I am getting this error message, if I want to enable the ssid:
Invalid Configuration: DHCP required or Web Auth cannot be enabled if Learn Client IP Address is disabled

But the config did not change, attached you can find the config. This error message makes no sense to me.. please help!

Thanks very much!

I solved the problem by disabling the DHCP required Option in the SSID.. still checking why this was suddenly a problem....

dear Rene

I have the same issue , would you please tell me how did you did that in steps

at configuration you did at switches

Hi Mahmoud,

For migration you need to run at least 7.5 Software Version on WLC. (See: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/7-5/High_Availability_DG.html#pgfId-53620 )

The article above also says "No additional configuration change is required for redundancy port and the configuration remains the same as in 7.3/7.4 release."

So you do not need to reconfigure wlc, if you're running 7.3 or 7.4, you just need to specify a designated VLAN in which the redundancy ports will be. (WLCs require Layer2 connection)

I've untagged the Redundancy Ports in the specific vlan and that's all.. (so on the switch you have one port on which the redundancy port from wlc is attached to and this port is in the VLAN)

After migration you should check the show redundancy summary output via CLI to make sure the WLCs see each other. Furthermore you should check syslogs from backup WLC to make sure it's not rebooting all the time (this happens if backup wlc is not able to reach his peer through redundancy port.. then backup wlc goes into maintenance mode and reboots once it sees his peer again=this could be due to network latency..

The link above also says "Once SSO is enabled, it will reboot the WLCs. While it boots, the WLCs negotiate the HA role as per the configuration via Redundant Port. If the WLCs cannot reach each other via the Redundant Port or via the Redundant Management Interface, the WLC configured as Secondary may go in Maintenance Mode..." )

After migration suddenly one SSID was deactivated and I was not able to enable it until I unchecked the DHCP Addr. Assignment checkbox in the advanced tab of that SSID. .. I still do not know why this setting was a problem, but I've read that it isn't best practice anymore to use it since it can bring up more issues with clients not being able to connect to that SSID: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/technology/wlc/82463-wlc-config-best-practice.pdf

"In general, it is a good idea not to use this option if the WLAN has non-Windows clients." -this is from the best practice link above

thank you so much Rene 

my action plan is blow so please correct 

-managment and RMI at one subnet

• VlanX Management (M) + Redundancy Management (RM)
  • VlanY Redundancy Port (RP) via switches 
  • connect RP at WLC 1 at switch port with access vlan y and RP at WLC 2 at the other switch port with access vlan y.
  • I have base license 50 at both WLCs so HA is supported with no additional license.
  • I have 40 AP registerd now at WLC 1 so is there is any configuration required for AP after HA cpnfigured
  • after HA the license will be 50 or 100 ?

Make sure that the RP vlan is only used for that.  The primary controller is what needs to be licensed for the amount of AP's you will have. If you have 50, then the HA pair will have 50 also.  Best practice is to define the primary, secondary and or tertiary WLC on the AP's high availability.  This way, if you have many WLC's or HA pairs, the AP's know what controller is the primary.  Here is a link that can help:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/69639-wlc-failover.html

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts ***

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hello,

Sorry to bring back this topic. But when you speak about migration, are you referring to putting the two WLCs in two different locations?

If so, did how did you configure the switch ports connecting to the redundancy ports?

I have a similar scenario, where I have a primary WLC on one datacenter, and we want to implement a second WLC on another datacenter...is it possible?

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card