cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC Failover PORT

johnhuston
Level 1
Level 1

I want to know if anyone has configured a Cisco Wireless Lan Controller (4400 and 5500 series) with to data ports for failover?  I think the primary and secondary ethernet connections should be configured as trunks.  I cannot find anything on CCO about this or on the internet per se.  I know how to configure for failover with APs but cannot find anything on how to configure the controller in case an the ethernet port goes down.

Thank you in advance for sharing your information.

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Don't really understand... If you use lag, then you have an etherchannel. So when one Ethernet port fails, the network is still up due to the other Ethernet ports in the bundle.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Agreed.  However this is what the customer wants.  Having a difficult time conveniencing them otherwise.  If you have a suggested configuration for the switch(s) and the controller will you please post it?

Thanks!!

I agree with Scott that LAG is the way to go. If your customer is against it, then you configure the switch ports as .1q trunks.

The downside is you can only call one backup port per interface though.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Do you have a suggestion on how the swtichport and wlc configurations should look?  I have never done it like this and I am looking for some help on how to do it.

Thanks

Damon Garner
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can do what you are asking. It is best to configure LAG though.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.0MR1/configuration/guide/cg_ports_interfaces.html#wp1114099

This should get you started.

from Cisco Technical Support Android App

I CANNOT USE LAG.  If I could, it would make things much easier. 

It's simple. On the dynamic interface, you specify what port it primary and what's the backup port. On the switch, it's a trunk port only allowing the vlans for that port.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card