Helpful
Replies

WLC HA Configuration - Recommended Precedure for Software Update

belessing
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

just some best-practise questions regarding the new HA feature of 7.3 code:

With use of AP-SSO and the hot-standby controller, as I understand during software update on the primary controller the code is copied to the hot-standby controller in the background. In case of any failure (e.g. unsupported configuration or feature) there is no chance to use temporarily an controller running the old software version. Furthermore, with HA I loose the possibility to test a new software feature on an updated secondary controller.

Is this true or is there another possibility to "get some confidence" regarding software updates with HA? Any ideas are welcome.

Thank you,

Benjamin

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well, to sort of answer your question.  If your only WLC's you have is the two in HA, then you do loose the functionality of upgrading one and performing some test before you upgrade the other WLC and move aps to it.  Some companies I have done work with do have a lab environment with spare WLC's and they can do this.  What I would suggest is that you either post in the forum if others have upgraded their HA WLC's and see how long they have had it up and if they have had or seen any issues.  Even if you had another WLC and tested with that, testing with another HA pair would be the way I would go about verifying things work okay.  You never know if there is an issue with the code that just affects HA and that would be my concern.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
In case of any failure (e.g. unsupported configuration or feature) there is no chance to use temporarily an controller running the old software version.

I haven't used the HA feature yet but I don't think this is the case.  Remember that the WLC can have TWO (2) different firmwares.  All you do is instruct the WLC to load the firmware you want.

Okay, I wasn´t aware of the two software partitions of the controllers. This makes it possible to switch back fast and recover the old software/config if needed. In the end it looks like that we need a lab to test the software before updating a controller and keep in mind the recover option with second software partition. This makes sense with and without HA setup.

Thanks,

Benjamin

Yes .. The WLC and the APs can have two images loaded to it. This does help if you need to swap images. It is best to decide your comfort level and what your requirement is for upgrades. Some companies are fine with downtime and might not really need to do much testing, but other companies can't afford to have downtime at all in which a lab is great to have.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

On the WLC GUI, go to Commands > Config Boot.

Under Config Boot Image, you'll be presented with a drop-down menu.  It is here where you can instruct the WLC to choose which image you want to run.  By default, it's always "Primary".

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card