Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC HA Upgrade - preimage download fails with AP 2600

Rene S.
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

we're running a WLC cluster 5508, with one of them being HA SKU and the other one primary WLC. The firmware version is 7.4.110.0 and we would like to upgrade it to 8.0.120.0. I would do the following steps:

-download the code to primary wlc and wait until it's pushed also to backup wlc

-issue the preimage-download command to push the image to all APs

- schedule reboot

But I#ve read in several manuals that the preimage download will fail for 2600 APs...

If you upgrade from a release that is prior to Release 7.5 directly to Release 7.6.X or a later release, the predownload process on Cisco AP2600 and AP3600 fails. After the Cisco WLC is upgraded to Release 7.6.X or a later release, the new image is loaded on Cisco AP2600 and AP3600. After the upgrade to a Release 7.6.X image, the predownload functionality works as expected. The predownload failure is only a one-time failure.

What does this mean? We using 2602 APs.. does it mean that preinage download isn't available at all?

thanks

KR

Rena

2 Replies 2

mohanak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Refer the BUG :

Predownload Image does not work on WLC 7.4.100.0 to 7.6.100.0
CSCum80710

Symptom:
Predownload does not work on 2600 AP when going from 7.4.100.0 to 7.6.100.0

Conditions:
Predownload in use.

Workaround:
None.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12082901/cscum80710-predownload-image-does-not-work-wlc-741000-761000

does it work if I update from 7.4.110.0 to 8.0.120.0? If not then how should I push the image to the Access Points? Should I perform this steps:

-download image to WLCs

-Reboot the WLCs, so the APs download the image when they rejoin WLC?

I've read that if the primary wlc reboots, the backup also automatically gets rebooted.. but I've also read in another manual that you have to issue the reset peer-system command to reboot the peer and then reset the primary WLC... what is the right way?

I found this: 

"Rebooting the active controller after a software upgrade also reboots the standby-hot controller."

here: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-4/configuration/guides/consolidated/b_cg74_CONSOLIDATED/b_cg74_CONSOLIDATED_chapter_01110100.html

thanks very much

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card