Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC Max Throughput

ZK916
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I could not find any clear explanation related to the max throughput associated with the C9800-L WLC.

The datasheet (link below) says that the base max throughput is 5Gbps and with the boost license is 10Gbps.

I wanted some clarification as to whether this base max throughput relates to the max ingress and egress packets that all interfaces can handle or relates to the max throughput that the CPU can handle? 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/datasheet-c78-742434.html

Thanks in advance.

~zK

6 Replies 6

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- This table below seems to confirm your figures : as far as your statement concerning the CPU ; these devices are more complex then that , and probably the core cpu doesn't even care as those limits are related to other components (too) ; such as network interfaces and switching infrastructure  beyond that

- Added info : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/nb-06-cat9800-ser-wirel-faq-ctp-en.html
 >...

Table 1.           Cisco Catalyst 9800 Series Wireless Controller appliances scale and performance

Product

Number of access points

Number of clients

Throughput

9800-L

Up to 5 Gbps

9800-L with performance license

Up to 9 Gbps

9800-40

Up to 40 Gbps

9800-80

Up to 80 Gbps

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Maximum Throughput that box can handle.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks for your input.

I find it interesting that this particular platform supports 250 WAPs and up to 5000 clients but can only process 5Gbps with the base license.

Best, ~sK

Correct you need to plan correctly looking at the Future model.

It also depends on the deployment method. if you doing CAPWAP / Flex - then all the traffic go via WLC

if you deploy different switching method, Only Control Traffic go via WLC.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

This comes back to data that has been collected through the years.  There were large organizations that would only use a single 1 gig link with no issues, so seeing a 5GHz limit for base I would say is fine.  I knew a few large customers that only used 1 Gig links on a 5508 with more than 250 ap's.  I didn't suggest that, but that is what they did.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Take the "recommended" number of APs with extreme caution. 

I've just been told "ideal" AP load condition of a 9800-80 to be 4800 (or 80%).  If this is the load condition of a monster 9800-80 then treat the same to the "baby" WLC.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card