cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC Migrate. 5508 to 5520, what code do i run?

Hi, we are planning a migrate from a 5508 controller to a 5520. We are currently running the 8.0.140 code and im planning an upgrade this week.
(it would be a shame to have to buy Wave 1 APs just because 8.0.140 does not support them)

The question follows. Should i upgrade to 8.2.130 wich is suggested on the 5520 to make it a more smooth transition or should i dive directly to 8.2.141? Im not a big fan of being in the Frontline

Thank you in Advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

8.2 code in general or the 7 days old 8.2.141?

I think the focus is to get 8.2 line as "fixed" as possible so that any improvements done can be "exported" to the long-life 8.3 train.  

So 8.2.141.0, in my opinion, is the way to go.  

Im not a big fan of being in the Frontline

The frontline may not be a good place if you don't like incoming fire but staying with old firmware are just as risky because of the bugs that have been found and fixed in the newest firmware.  Frankly, reading the Release Notes of 8.2.141.0 encourages me to upgrade my controllers.

Some people believe "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".  Some will say it's OK to stay with 8.0 if there are no 2800/3800 APs to deploy.  It's your call.  

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

8.2.141.0 is probably matured by now.

Are you refering to the the 8.2 code in general or the 7 days old 8.2.141? :)

8.2 code in general or the 7 days old 8.2.141?

I think the focus is to get 8.2 line as "fixed" as possible so that any improvements done can be "exported" to the long-life 8.3 train.  

So 8.2.141.0, in my opinion, is the way to go.  

Im not a big fan of being in the Frontline

The frontline may not be a good place if you don't like incoming fire but staying with old firmware are just as risky because of the bugs that have been found and fixed in the newest firmware.  Frankly, reading the Release Notes of 8.2.141.0 encourages me to upgrade my controllers.

Some people believe "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".  Some will say it's OK to stay with 8.0 if there are no 2800/3800 APs to deploy.  It's your call.  

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card