Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC Questions

benolyndav
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

I have a new WLC to deploy as we had one that failed,  the new WLC is shipped with an much older version of code installed so I need to upgrade the code,  i dont see the old controller code 8.10.150 on ciscos download any more do you know if its been retired.

Also if I have to use a newer code version on the replacement WLC will I also need a newer version of code for AP's, and would I have to download this seperatley or is it all bundled in WLC code.?

Also is there a requirment to upgrade the CIMC as well or can this be left untill another date in the future.??

Thanks

6 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@benolyndav wrote:
Also is there a requirment to upgrade the CIMC as well or can this be left untill another date in the future.??

Is the CIMC connected?  If it is not, then there is no need to upgrade the CIMC.  If the CIMC is connected to the network then it is up to the network admin to evaluate if there is a risk of getting pwn-ed or not. 

CIMC Security Advisories

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@benolyndav wrote:
Also if I have to use a newer code version on the replacement WLC will I also need a newer version of code for AP's, and would I have to download this seperatley or is it all bundled in WLC code.?

The APs will update their firmware based on the firmware of the WLC.  If the WLC runs a newer firmware, the WLC will instruct the APs to upgrade the AP's firmware.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@benolyndav wrote:
i dont see the old controller code 8.10.150 on ciscos download any more do you know if its been retired.

Because there is no such release as 8.10.150.0.  If I am not mistaken, the release is 8.10.151.0.

Hi

So do I need to download the AP bundle also or is everything thats required for AP's included in the WLC Software download.

Thanks

@benolyndav wrote:
So do I need to download the AP bundle also or is everything thats required for AP's included in the WLC Software download.

Depends on the model of the APs.  

It is best to read the Release Notes because it will provide all details about the AP Bundle.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Bit late to reply but just to add:

- The CIMC update also updates the WLC firmware to resolve a number of bugs in the firmware (because it's actually just a UCS server underneath).  This is addressed in the release notes:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn810mr9.html#cimc-upgrade

You should refer to the TAC recommended versions link below for WLC code version to use.

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@benolyndav wrote:

Is the CIMC connected?  If it is not, then there is no need to upgrade the CIMC.  If the CIMC is connected to the network then it is up to the network admin to evaluate if there is a risk of getting pwn-ed or not. 

CIMC Security Advisories

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@benolyndav wrote:

The APs will update their firmware based on the firmware of the WLC.  If the WLC runs a newer firmware, the WLC will instruct the APs to upgrade the AP's firmware.

Hi

Thanks

@benolyndav wrote:

Depends on the model of the APs.  

It is best to read the Release Notes because it will provide all details about the AP Bundle.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@benolyndav wrote:
i dont see the old controller code 8.10.150 on ciscos download any more do you know if its been retired.

Because there is no such release as 8.10.150.0.  If I am not mistaken, the release is 8.10.151.0.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Bit late to reply but just to add:

- The CIMC update also updates the WLC firmware to resolve a number of bugs in the firmware (because it's actually just a UCS server underneath).  This is addressed in the release notes:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn810mr9.html#cimc-upgrade

You should refer to the TAC recommended versions link below for WLC code version to use.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card