Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC Replacement in WCS

neilo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a client running 5 x 4404 WLC's managed via WCS V7.0.240.0.  I know it's no longer supported and this system is due to be replaced in the next 6-8 months but we have a controller down and I need to replace it ASAP (I already have the hardware ready to go, on the correct sw version).  However, I cannot seem to find any documentation that explains how to replace a faulty unit, can anyone assist please?

The controllers are running 7.0.250.0

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, directly on the WLC itself. You will need to sync the config afterwards on the WCS and "take the configuration from WLC". I don't fully remember anymore how the command is named, as I switched years ago the the Prime Infrastructure.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There are several ways. If they are configured through templates, just follow the initial setup of the new controller (IP adresses) and then apply all templates to the new one.

A second solution would be, if you have enabled it in WCS, to restore a WLC backup to the new controller.

The third possible solution would be to take the current running configuration of a working WLC (Download Configuration under Commands, directly on the WLC), open it in a notepad++ or similar, fix all the IP configuration and upload it to the new controller (after you've done the initial setup).

Maybe somebody has even better suggestions.

For all solutions it's important to first configure the new license, if it isn't preinstalled. Oh and also first update it to the same software as the other WLCs, before configuring the mobility functions!

Thanks for your response.  I've managed to get the replacement controller online in WCS and to take a config but configuring the IP, SNMP & SSH details as the old one were.  However, the big issue I'm now having is Mobility Groups.

Because the MAC address is different WCS is saying it doesn't know about the new controller within the mobility group.  I can change the details directly on the controller but not within the mobility group config in WCS for the new controller...it won't allow me to remove and re-add...is there another way of changing the MAC?

Yes, directly on the WLC itself. You will need to sync the config afterwards on the WCS and "take the configuration from WLC". I don't fully remember anymore how the command is named, as I switched years ago the the Prime Infrastructure.

That's great, thank you.  I now have both old and new entries referencing both MAC's but this shouldn't be an issue hopefully.  I'm now just waiting on AP's moving back to the original controller, which is taking some time considering their priority settings.

It shouldn't be, it simply can't build a mobility-group with the not existing mac addresses. As long as the other three controllers are up, all is well. Also don't forget to change the mac address on the other three controllers!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: