cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC to move or not to move from Remote Site to Data Center

captainbluff
Level 1
Level 1

We currently have a single WLC 5500 located at a remote site with about 400 - 500 users with multiple devices that is connected via Wired and Wireless. The site has 1 Gbps MPLS link, all outbound traffic from the remote site to internet and data center goes through this link. During peak times, MPLS link is about 35% utilized.  What are the pros and cons of moving the WLC into the data center?

1 Reply 1

Hi

I wouldn't put it in terms of pros and cons. I'd say this is a design option. You can have the WLC on the DC and leaving all client traffic on the remote site by using flexconnect.

If you have multiples remote site and you intend to apply some kind of filter on the wifi traffic, then, it is interesting to have all traffic concentrated on the DC.

But if you have limitation on the WAN bandwidth, then maybe it is interesting keep the traffic locally. As I said, the WLC can be installed on the DC anyway.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card