Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC upgrade due to Advisory

lcaruso
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

We have a 5508 WLC running 7.2.110.0 and need to upgrade according to the advisory released today.

It seems we have three upgrade choices:

7.2.110.0 to 7.2.111.3

7.2.110.0 to 7.3.110.0

7.2.110.0 to 7.4.x

I've not upgraded one of these 5508's before, but if they are anything like ASAs then I need to be careful.

Can anyone advise if upgrading from our current version to 7.4 requires planning. Same for 7.3.

How will the WLC upgrades affect the APs (3502i) ?

How does one recover from a failed upgrade on these WLCs?

Thanks.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No.

Unlike routers and switches, if you upgrade the boostrap and the firmware using GUI not alot can go wrong.  This is because the firmware will be verified by the appliance before the WLC will get rebooted.  Anyway, you can roll-back the firmware to the previous one.

My recommendation is to go to 7.4.100.0.  Again, please ensure you upgrade the bootstrap too.

View solution in original post

jguagliata
Level 1
Level 1

Be careful with 7.4.100.0 as there is an open bug with the 1142's rebooting.

CSCud97983 Bug Details

ap1142 crashing after upgrading to 7.4.100.0.
Symptom:

1142 AP crashing /disassociating from wlc once a day

Conditions:

unknown

Workaround:

Reboot the AP

There are certain bugs in this 7.4 code where information is not publicly available. We hit one of these when we upgraded to 7.4. Once upgraded we could not play youtube video from iPhone5 & iPad3. This is only applicable if you configured Video Call Admission control & workaround is to disable it (or disable 802.11n data rates). Here is our experience on that.

http://mrncciew.com/2013/02/10/day-0-with-wlc-7-4-code/

17 Replies 17

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No.

Unlike routers and switches, if you upgrade the boostrap and the firmware using GUI not alot can go wrong.  This is because the firmware will be verified by the appliance before the WLC will get rebooted.  Anyway, you can roll-back the firmware to the previous one.

My recommendation is to go to 7.4.100.0.  Again, please ensure you upgrade the bootstrap too.

I'll check the release notes to see that the differences are between 7.2 and 7.4.

And I'll be sure to upgrade the bootstrap.

Thanks much.

WLC version 7.4.100 will need Prime Infrastructure Version 1.3 to be managed, but Version 1.3 is not yet available to download at this time.

Huh? What is Prime Infrastructure and why do I need it?

WLC version 7.4.100 will need Prime Infrastructure Version 1.3 to be managed, but Version 1.3 is not yet available to download at this time.

Huh? What is Prime Infrastructure and why do I need it?

I currently have WCS 7.0.230.0 and I can manage my WiSM-2 running 7.4.100.0.

Now, in case you want CPI 1.2 or 1.3, I strongly recommend that you DON'T.  CPI 2.0 is about to come out and you need to pay close attention to CPI 2.0's systems requirements.

I think if WLCs were already in WCS 7.x.x & then you can upgrade WLC to 7.4 & still WCS able to work with WLC.

But if you try to add 7.4 WLC into WCS it will complain about compatibiltiy. That's based on my experience.

jguagliata
Level 1
Level 1

Be careful with 7.4.100.0 as there is an open bug with the 1142's rebooting.

CSCud97983 Bug Details

Symptom:

1142 AP crashing /disassociating from wlc once a day

Conditions:

unknown

Workaround:

Reboot the AP

Thanks for this note.

We have 3502i APs, but that was the kind of the issue I was concerned about.

I suspected it was possible the WLC upgrades can muck with APs.

There are certain bugs in this 7.4 code where information is not publicly available. We hit one of these when we upgraded to 7.4. Once upgraded we could not play youtube video from iPhone5 & iPad3. This is only applicable if you configured Video Call Admission control & workaround is to disable it (or disable 802.11n data rates). Here is our experience on that.

http://mrncciew.com/2013/02/10/day-0-with-wlc-7-4-code/

Thanks for your contribution. Nifty webpage.

Trent Hurt
Level 1
Level 1

I have seen this on 7.2 code as well.  It seems iphone's may not do TSPEC per this link...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4327729?start=0&tstart=0

Found this in old 4.x wlc doc...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/4.0/configuration/guide/c40ccfg.html

"For WMM clients that do not support traffic specifications (TSPEC), disable ACM to allow for proper QoS mapping.For WMM clients that do not support traffic specifications (TSPEC), disable ACM to allow for proper QoS mapping.

As for 7.4 be careful because of the 1142 bug (cscud97983 ), as well (cscue33224)

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Each code has its issues. I would just look at the caveats and go from there. To me, it depends on what type of AP's you have to be honest and what feature you want.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Looking at the caveats makes it hard to believe most of the software isn't beta.

Scott Fella wrote:

Each code has its issues. I would just look at the caveats and go from there. To me, it depends on what type of AP's you have to be honest and what feature you want.

Justin Guagliata wrote:

Looking at the caveats makes it hard to believe most of the software isn't beta.

Scott Fella wrote:

I, too, ran into bug CSCud97983 ("ap1142 crashing after upgrading to 7.4.100.0")  a while back.  It was actually worse than the bug sounds (not only did 10% of my customer's 800 AP's "crash" and "disassociate from the wlc once a day", but since many of their APs use power injectors, we had to walk around and actually unplug the AP's for them to reboot.) 

Anyhow, TAC gave me access to 7.4.103.5 which fixed things.  I thought for sure that by now, Cisco wouldn't still have 7.4.100.0 posted on their website.  But they do!?!?!?!  I've now heard of several customers running into this.  I re-checked the 7.4.100.0 release notes and there's no mention of this bug.  Isn't the 1142 one of the most common AP's out there???? 

The bug says it's fixed in 7.4(100.1).  But I don't see that or the release TAC gave me available for download to the general public.  Cisco is letting customers walk into a fire with this.  Can anyone explain why Cisco would do this? 

Anyone care to comment?

CSCud97983

Bug Details

Symptom: 1142 AP crashing /disassociating from wlc once a day

Conditions: unknown

Workaround: Reboot the AP

Fixed-In 7.4(100.1)

cisco-wlc-<a href='https://www.cisco.com/cisco/psn/bssprt/bss?searchType=bstbugidsearch&page=bstBugDetail&BugID=CSCud97983' target='_blank'>CSCud97983</a>.png

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: