Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC Upgrade - Unexpected result

Si
Level 1
Level 1

Morning,

I upgraded a WLC this morning from 7.2.110.0 to 7.4.121.0 using the method below.

Upgraded WLC 

Preload all APS. Checked and the new image was the backup.
Swop backup to primary on the APs.

Shut the AP Mgmt SVI to trap at L3 and stop migrating to secondary controller.

Reload Controller to the new code then Open SVI.

At this point the APs came back, but on show ap image all, they showed only 7.2.11.0 as the primary image and no backup. At this stage im guessing the APS downloaded 7.4.121.0 from the controller but this prolonged the process.

At the point i reloaded the WLC, should i have issued the command to reload the APS?

Thanks

S

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nope.  Reload the WLC and the APs will reload.  

Those APs that didn't pre-download will download the image once the WLC comes back.

Hi Leo,
I preloaded the day before. All 50 APs showed the new image. If i reloaded the WLC the APs would fail straight away to the secondary controller and not upgrade. Im still not sure why this happened. As mentioned above, once they did come back with the 7.2.11.0 they quickly disappeared and then downloaded the software from the controller. This to me looks like the preload didnt work as planned.

Before 

(Cisco Controller) config>ap image swap all

(Cisco Controller) >exit    ap image swap all                 config        exit    ap    config        q show ap image all

Total number of APs.............................. 48

Number of APs

Initiated....................................... 0

Predownloading.................................. 0

Completed predownloading........................ 0

Not Supported................................... 0

Failed to Predownload........................... 0

Predownload     Predownload                                  Flexconnect

AP Name            Primary Image  Backup Image   Status          Version        Next Retry Time  Retry Count  Predownload

------------------ -------------- -------------- --------------- -------------- ---------------- ------------ ---------

01GD-WAP-010   7.4.121.0      7.2.110.0      None            None           NA               NA                       

-01GD-WAP-007   7.4.121.0      7.2.110.0      None            None           NA               NA 

After

(Cisco Controller) >show ap image all

Total number of APs.............................. 48

Number of APs

Initiated....................................... 0

Predownloading.................................. 0

Completed predownloading........................ 0

Not Supported................................... 0

Failed to Predownload........................... 0

Predownload     Predownload                                  Flexconnect

AP Name            Primary Image  Backup Image   Status          Version        Next Retry Time  Retry Count  Predownload

------------------ -------------- -------------- --------------- -------------- ---------------- ------------ ---------

-0102-WAP-006   7.2.110.0      0.0.0.0        None            None           NA               NA                       

-01GD-WAP-011   7.2.110.0      0.0.0.0        None            None           NA               NA 

Exactly what model of AP fails to upgrade?

Hi,

They are 1142n's. According to the first output they all received the new image.

I think, that i need to reload the APs but need to confirm this

S

I just pre-downloaded >1800 AP1140 when I upgraded to 7.6.120.X last week.  All went well.  

Are the APs in FlexConnect or something?

No all light weight ap's. Upgrading another today. Do you have your procedure I could see ? 

Thanks s

Si
Level 1
Level 1

Resolved this now.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card