Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC with -C and -E APs

Sohail Muhammad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a Wireless setup with WLC 5508, 1532-C-K9 outdoor and 1602-E-K9 indoor APs. I have configured China and AE as Country on my Controller. But what I see on controller is a/n Radios are down for 1602-E-K9 APs. WLC was running on 7.6 code and we recently upgraded it to 8.1.

What i can see is for 1602-E APs, it is taking CN as country.

How to change the country of indoor APs to AE so that 5Ghz radio can be activated?

Regards, Sohail

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
ow to change the country of indoor APs to AE so that 5Ghz radio can be activated?

You don't and you can't.  

The behaviour is "normal" because your WLC is configured for two countries with CONFLICTING Regulatory Domain.  

You need to think about purchasing a second controller or converting the AP to autonomous.  

You could get a free WLC 2504 (with 25-AP license):  Read THIS.  Promo valid until end of July 2015.

Well.. I went through this document and it say totally opposite to what you said..

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-4/configuration/guides/consolidated/b_cg74_CONSOLIDATED/b_cg74_CONSOLIDATED_chapter_01110111.html

I went through this document and it say totally opposite to what you said..

I call bull-sh1t.

Read BELOW: 

Although the controller supports different access points in different regulatory domains (countries), it requires all radios in a single access point to be configured for the same regulatory domain.

How is this line contradicting what I've said?  

How about the next line BELOW: 

For example, you should not configure a Cisco 1231 access point’s 802.11b/g radio for the US (-A) regulatory domain and its 802.11a radio for the Great Britain (-E) regulatory domain. Otherwise, the controller allows only one of the access point’s radios to turn on, depending on which regulatory domain you selected for the access point on the controller. 

How is this example different to your situation?  

Still think I'm incorrect, raise a TAC case.  

I don't want one radio of a single AP to be on Regulatory Domain X and second Radio to Regulatory Domain Y... All I need is

1 - 1602-E-K9 APs to be on Country Code AE

2 - 1532-C-K9 APs to be on Country Code CN

1 - 1602-E-K9 APs to be on Country Code AE
2 - 1532-C-K9 APs to be on Country Code CN

Not possible.  The Regulatory Domain of the APs are BURNT IN.  

The only way for the APs to have "multiple" regulatory domain is to use the newer models which support "universal" Regulatory Domain of "-UX".

It is burnt in.. I know.. but WLC is pushing CN country code on AP with -E domain...

It is burnt in.. I know

I don't think you do.  

BURNT IN meaning it is already PROGRAMMED INTO THE CHIP.  

I strongly recommend to stop digging.  You are NOT the first (nor will you be the last).  This question has been asked numerous times and the answer is still the same.  IT CANNOT BE DONE.  

Only the new APs with "universal" Regulatory Domain will be able to do this.  

If you still insist on getting some kind of answer, then I recommend you create a TAC Case.  

I was able to configure the AP specific country code on each AP and now both 2.4 and 5Ghz radios of all 1602I-E-K9 and 1532E-C-K9 are up.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card