Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC2106 upgrade

Geminorum_cco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody

As always, thanks for this awesome ressource!

I have two AIR-WLC2106-K9s that i would like to upgrade, their current software v4.0.206.0... And i've been looking at the upgrade compatibility matrix. From that i can see that i would have to go through this upgrade path to get to v7:

4.0.206.0  -->  4.1.185.0  -->  4.1.191.24M  -->  4.1.192.35M  -->  5.2.157.0  -->  7.0.240.0

What do you guys think, is there another way. There are ofcourse APs to take into account - they would have to upgrade along the way as well. I started thinking that maybe this upgrade path was layed out to preserve the config along the way. And that maybe i could go for v7 at once and just reconfigure?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

So what you are saying is that i should deafen my APs while i go through the entire upgrade path?

That's correct.

Or could i install v7 right away?

From version 4.0.X?  That's not possible.

Does anyone know how to go about upgrading past v4?

The release notes have a matrix or an upgrade path.  Follow that and it will work.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

To minmize chaos to your AP, disable the AP Management interface via the "allowed vlan" of your interface then do the upgrade.

Hi Leo

So what you are saying is that i should deafen my APs while i go through the entire upgrade path? Or could i install v7 right away? I noticed that it isnt possible to download versions 4.1.191.24M and 4.1.192.35M. That could present a problem. Does anyone know how to go about upgrading past v4?

Cheers

So what you are saying is that i should deafen my APs while i go through the entire upgrade path?

That's correct.

Or could i install v7 right away?

From version 4.0.X?  That's not possible.

Does anyone know how to go about upgrading past v4?

The release notes have a matrix or an upgrade path.  Follow that and it will work.

Hi Leo and Scott

I had an extra look at the release notes, and it turns out i read it wrong. I was looking at it from a Wireless Mesh standpoint, however i've got a regular non-mesh infrastructure.

And as far as i can see this is my upgrade path:

4.0.206.0  -->  4.2.176.0  -->  7.0.240.0

Atleast when i read the section "Special Rules for Upgrading to Controller Software Release 7.0.240.0" in the document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn7_0_240_0.html#wp784198

I dear bet thats correct or i might as well buy a couple off of ebay with a newer version software.

Can you guys confirm this?

Cheers

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Wow... you have a lot of work a head of you... here is what I would do.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is correct. For non mesh you look at table 1-1

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn7_0_240_0.html#wp784219

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Yeah. I knew better than to research this at 8pm going on my 100th cup of coffee.

You guys are the best. Thanks for helping out.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card