cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLSE automanage templates

b.kokken
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking into implementing WLSE automanage configuration templates for managing Access Points.

The main issue that I find is how to deal with rebooting APs.

All documentation lists that templates are only applied to 'new' APs that were just being added to the managed group.

I tested did a test and also found out that the CDP discovery would take extremely long: the environment has many switches, routers etc and approx 200 APs.

To ensure a most safe config, we want to have no config file on the AP and use the startup template option.

Then after applying this config, the WLSE is expected to discover the AP and apply a template to it based on some criteria.

It seems that for this last step to happen, we have to schedule a periodic discovery AND the AP must not yet be discovered.

This makes this method unusuable because we never know when an AP might reboot and periodic discovery just takes to long.

Has anyone a suggestion or can someone tell me if this is correct?

Bas Kokken

2 Replies 2

Bas,

Correct. The WLSE not apply the auto-manage template until the discovery process has been completed.

If You configure the template to save the configuration to nvram the AP will work after reboot.

However in case You want the AP to have a clean configuration due to security reasons You will have to schedule discovery job on a regular interval.

BTW: the command 'no boot upgrade' will configure the AP not to request a new template during reboot.

/anders

Anders,

Thanks for your quick answer: here my thoughts.

By downloading the boot config with WDS and WLCCP config, the AP will register with WDS and can also be discovered by the WLSE.

As per userguide, no discovery jobs need to be scheduled for this. Is this true?

Also: if rediscovered after powerloss, will the WLSE apply the template? So far I only read about having templates applied to newly discovered APs

Have you an idea on this ?

Last but not least : the client is using CiscoWorks LSM bundle. Does this provide my desired functionality?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card