cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLSE Redundancy Problems

lbadman
Level 1
Level 1

I have two WLSE 2.12 1130's, just got the second one for redundancy. Seems like it should be a simple process to create the redundancy, and initially all seems well, but a few hours after the redundancy is built, get all kinds of messages that the boxes have lost touch with each other, can't ship configs, etc. Boxes are identical, and are on the same switch and subnet. If I let the process go, I've actually had the secondary wipe out the primary- everything. And to boot, I can't get the meaningful time of day from TAC on this issue- worst response I've ever seen out of Cisco on TAC Case 602662445. Anyone else ever dealt with a similiar issue?

5 Replies 5

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

If you have good backups available, then you can re-image both boxes, restore the data and then re-enable the redundancy again to see if it makes any diff?

Yep- have done that a few times now. To the point where Cisco is asking for dumptech files, which for whatever reason can't be opened when I send them. The other part is that it is taking a week or more between exchanges to get any response out of TAC on this- far from their usual good service and most frustrating. But back to topic- have reimaged both boxes, have cleared configs, have reinitdb, have done it all in the order recommended by Cisco. Again, both boxes are on the same subnet and switch and can ping each other all day, but still they lose their redundancy abilities for whatever reason.

mlieber
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I think I have the same problem. My customer has two WLSE 2.12 connected on the same switch and he ha sa lot of problems in redundancy.

Now I have changed one WLSE and at the moment it looks better, but I have some redundancy status messages like "pre standby" of "active load standby".

I´m not sure if these messages are correct.

You have opened a TAC case, do you have got any new informations about your problem ?

I have the world's longest-running TAC case open on the issue, with what I would characterize as the shoddiest response I've ever had with any support group- but usually I find Cisco to be quite the opposite. Sending lots of logs, but "the developers" need to look into it... My feeling? Nobody uses it (redundancy, that is) and probably never worked right, so it's probably not a priority on their end- especially with the push toward LWAPP that makes the WLSE obsolete. Oh well, for now, I restore the second WLSE from a backup of the first, and at least have a "hot spare" for what that's worth.

Lee

tim.riegert
Level 1
Level 1

We are also experiencing the same issue - running ver 2.13. We are seeing the "pre-standby" messages, and when I fail the primary-active, the secondary never switches from standby to active. Even if I stagger a reboot (reboot secondary, reboot primary 15 seconds later), the secondary never moves from pre-standby state and the primary comes up as active (and subsequently, the secondary moves to standby)

Has anyone else received a workaround from TAC? I've seen the CSCsd23516 bug, where the appliance wont move from pre-standby, but that is not the problem as it does move to standby once the other takes over as active.

The secondary appliance will never become active (or at least not in a reasonable amount of time).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: