Views
Helpful
Replies

Zafiro mDNS

absuizo14
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

we are currently trying to integrate a provider's entertainment system with our network. it is called zafiro cast and uses a chromecasts installed on the TVs inside the hotel rooms. they gave us this document which i attached here as their requirement. ping wise we are able to reach everything that should be reached but the mDNS part does not seem to work. mdns on the Cast network where the chromecast is connected can reach their server but the client's mdns connected to the guest network  cant reach their server. maybe because the guest ssid is anchored. when i capture packets on the guest anchor no mDNS packets are seen . if we enable mDNS gateway globally the chromecast mDNS will not reach their servers. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich R
VIP
VIP

As @marce1000 says you need to provide a lot more detail about your wireless network including the topology.

In general the mdns is restricted to the local subnet so the CG needs to be on the same vlan/subnet as the guests as per their design spec.  You should NOT try to do this through mdns gateway - it must be done on the same subnet.  These setups are problematic at the best of times and adding a gateway will likely make it unsupportable.  Based on your brief and vague description I don't think your current topology can support this design so you'll need to redesign it to make it work paying close attention to their design spec.  If possible you should also persuade the customer to go for the LAN connected CC rather than WiFi (doc suggests it's a choice) - much more reliable and less problematic and avoids a whole lot of problems with the wireless CC.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- What are the components of the wireless network , such as ap-models involved  and or controller model ?

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Rich R
VIP
VIP

As @marce1000 says you need to provide a lot more detail about your wireless network including the topology.

In general the mdns is restricted to the local subnet so the CG needs to be on the same vlan/subnet as the guests as per their design spec.  You should NOT try to do this through mdns gateway - it must be done on the same subnet.  These setups are problematic at the best of times and adding a gateway will likely make it unsupportable.  Based on your brief and vague description I don't think your current topology can support this design so you'll need to redesign it to make it work paying close attention to their design spec.  If possible you should also persuade the customer to go for the LAN connected CC rather than WiFi (doc suggests it's a choice) - much more reliable and less problematic and avoids a whole lot of problems with the wireless CC.

Sorry for the lack of details but your answer makes a lot of sense.. if we configure the mDNS gateway on the anchor WLC when we cast the device we can actually see all the installed chromecast which is not ideal since the user should only cast to the room he/she is in. so we will be changing the setup so that the hotel users are not anchored.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card