Views
Helpful
Replies

A9K-MOD80-SE A9K-MOD80-TR difference

Yuyang Jin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me the difference between A9K-MOD80-SE and A9K-MOD80-TR in details. I understand that the scale of QoS and EFPs are different, but what are the details?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rick Bartosik
Level 1
Level 1

You are correct in QoS and EFP differences; however, there are others:

Rick Bartosik

Sr. Systems Engineer

Cisco Systems

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Rick Bartosik
Level 1
Level 1

You are correct in QoS and EFP differences; however, there are others:

Rick Bartosik

Sr. Systems Engineer

Cisco Systems

Thanks, Rick. This is what I need.

Hi Rick,

Is there a limitation throughput with these 2 difference module?

Thanks.

Hi,

Both MOD80s (SE and TR) have two of the same NP, so in terms of raw bandwidth no, no difference.

Saying this another way, if the same configuration is applied to both cards you should see the same performance. Which card you choose to use really comes down to the needs of your network.

HTH,

Sam

MOD80SE PPPoE mean authentication with with radius server. most of the times used for DSL. 

Have a look at Cisco live ID 2904 from orlando 2013 and sanfran 2014, it details out specifically what the differences are between the SE and TR card which is basically some of the memories attached to the NPU.

It has more queues, a larger tcam, more frame memory (for packet buffering) and larger stats memory (supporting higher scale of pmaps, interfaces, anything that uses a counter).

For BNG you will need the SE variant of the card that carries the subscribers.

cheers

xander

Hi Xander,

If the difference between SE and TR cards is only in the amount of memory, can i use PWHE on TR cards instead of SE? Whether there are any restrictions?

Thanks

Hi,

PWHE is supported only on enhanced ethernet line cards i.e. Typhoon and Service Edge models. Typhoon is the second generation, Tomahawk third gen.

Trident is the first generation.

BNG feature is also supported only on SE LC's.

The term "SE" is only used on 2nd and 3rd gen models. On Trident we have low, medium and high queue models.

Restrictions

Pseudowire Headend is supported only on the following hardware:

• ASR 9000 Enhanced Ethernet Line Cards
  • SE (Service Edge) variant of ASR 9000 Ethernet Line Cards

Thanks, smailmilak

We have  Typhoon A9k-MOD80-TR line cards.

But Cisco L2VPN User Guide tells us:

Pseudowire Headend is supported only on the SE (Service Edge) variant of ASR9000 Enhanced Ethernet Line Cards both for access facing and core facing interfaces.

But we tried PWHE on -TR card and it worked.

This is interesting. I did not have the chance to test PWHE yet, but I am planning to use it on customers BNG. They have SE LC's.

And with "working" you mean that you were able to establish a link and communicate over this link? Maybe just the control plane is working but not the data plane?

yes, both control and data planes have been tested with traffic generator.

Ok, maybe Xander or Aleksandar have more information for us.

functionally PWHE works on the TR cards also. the problem comes when you have a QOS or features on your pwhe. as all features are programmed on the interfaces in the pindown list, you may burn or run out of queues rather fast. that is why we cant support pwhe on the TR card although it can work if you dont use qos for instance.

the "problem" is when we claim not supported, it means we dont test it either, so while you may see it work, if you run into an issue, it would be hard to provide support which then can result in disappointment.

cheers!

xander

Many thanks Хander,

Whether there will be any problems when using policing on pw-ether interfaces - in or out directions?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: