Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Activate additional BGP address-family leads to BGP session goes down

Hi,

I recently activated the lvpn address-family on an existing BGP neighbor, which already had vpnv4 up and running (5.1.3 SP3). After commiting the change the neighbor went down and then up again. Is this behavior expected? Is it expected that an additional address-family brings the session down?

Regards,

Florian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

smailmilak
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

indeed it's expected behavior. Any change in BGP AF will restart the BGP session. I think it's because the BGP neighbor capabilities are changed if you remove or add an AF. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

smailmilak
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

indeed it's expected behavior. Any change in BGP AF will restart the BGP session. I think it's because the BGP neighbor capabilities are changed if you remove or add an AF. 

Hi,

Thank you for the quick answer, can you point me to any documentation regarding this behavior?

Regards,

Florian

It's probably documented somewhere or it's on a Cisco Live presentation.

I did a quick search but it was not able to find anything.

AARON WEINTRAUB
Level 1
Level 1

Unfortunately the BGP protocol only allows address families to be introduced at session establishment, so adding or removing AFIs from a session causes a session reset.  Maybe in the future additional enhancements will solve this issue.

Adam Vitkovsky
Level 3
Level 3

Yes indeed,

New capabilities needs to be exchanged when new address-family is configured, so that BGP speakers know how to pars and interpret each other’s messages correctly.

And since capability field is carried only in BGP OPEN messages, and OPEN messages are exchanged only during BGP session initialization, the TCP session needs to be restarted so that the BGP OPEN messages can be exchanged again.

There was some work in IETF to introduce dynamic capabilities exchange but somewhat did not took off:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-idr-dynamic-cap-14

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-cap-neg-05

adam

netconsultings.com

::carrier-class solutions for the telecommunications industry::

adam