Helpful
Replies

ASR 9000 RSP Upgrade from 5.3 to 6.5.3

JustRookie
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi guys,

I have 2 racks of ASR 9006, wanting to move one of RSP from RackA to RackB 

RackA : 2 RSP (want to move the standby one to be standby RSP for RackB) . // OS 5.3.3

RackB : only 1 RSP // OS 6.5.3 

1). If I move RSP to RackB, do I need to upgrade it to OS 6.5.3 first before moving? or the new OS can be downloaded/sync with main RSP from RackB?

2). Do I need to wipe all the configuration first? or configuration can be synced too?

Thank you so much! 

3 Replies 3

philclemens1835
Level 1
Level 1

This is way easier than that.

Pull your standby RSP out of RACK A and move it to the standby of RACK B.  The 9K takes care of the OS and synchronization.

Once you install the RSP in RACK B, watch it on "show platform" until you see it up in "XR RUN".  Then, start watching "show redundancy" until everything shows "ready".  It will take a while, but it gets there on its own.

I'm assuming both are 32-bit.  If the 6.5.3 box is 64-bit, I think the outputs may look a little different for those show commands.

All this assumes that the three RSP's are identical models.

If I'm reading the original post correctly, this isn't really an upgrade.  The "RACK 2" chassis is already up and running on 6.5.3.   It's just moving a standby RSP from one chassis to another.  It just so happens that the chassis are running different version of XR.