cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR 9010 new Modular Line Card Install error???

n.t85
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Community

Hope everything is going well.

Today I installed a new Modular Line Card on a ASR 9010. I followed the the isntruction on Cisco documentation but I got the following error messages and the MLC remains in the shutdown state.

RP/0/RSP1/CPU0:Jun 18 14:29:28.929 : shelfmgr[404]: %PLATFORM-SHELFMGR_HAL-7-CAN_INFO : Can API: slot 0 online event.
RP/0/RSP1/CPU0:Jun 18 14:29:28.960 : shelfmgr[404]: %PLATFORM-SHELFMGR_HAL-3-CAN_CARD_INVALID : Invalid card type -1 from slot 1 CBC
RP/0/RSP1/CPU0:Jun 18 14:29:33.989 : shelfmgr[404]: %PLATFORM-SHELFMGR-3-UNKNOWN_BOARD : Boot request from node 0/1/CPU0 contains invalid board type, This board is being shutdown
RP/0/RSP1/CPU0:Jun 18 14:29:35.135 : lrd[321]: %HA-LRD_inv-4-UNEXPECTED : Unexpected: lrdi_get_hwi_type: Unknown board type : 0x0
RP/0/RSP1/CPU0:Jun 18 14:29:35.135 : lrd[321]: %HA-LRD_inv-4-UNEXPECTED : Unexpected: lrdi_get_hwi_type: Unknown board type from slot: 0x81
RP/0/RSP1/CPU0:Jun 18 14:29:35.136 : lrd[321]: %HA-LRD_inv-4-UNEXPECTED : Unexpected: lrdi_get_hwi_type: Unknown board type : 0x0
RP/0/RSP1/CPU0:Jun 18 14:29:35.136 : lrd[321]: %HA-LRD_inv-4-UNEXPECTED : Unexpected: lrdi_get_hwi_type: Unknown board type from slot: 0x81

I think this could be due to the IOS XR version incompatibility with the MLC but I just wanted to double check if there is no hardware issues with the card prior to start an upgrade of the router.

Any previous experience with this situation??

Thanks in advance 

BR

15 Replies 15

tkarnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

what code are you running?

what type of mod card is it?

Hi 

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am running Cisco IOS XR Software, Version 5.1.3 and 

Modular Card type is A9K-MOD400-TR

Thanks

That is a tomahawk based card. it is not supported in 5.1.3

see here

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/asr-9000-series-aggregation-services-routers/datasheet-c78-735809.html

we need to run newer code, i suggest EMR release 6.1.4/6.2.3

there is also a requirement for v2 fans/power to support additional cooling/power

Hi again,

I understand, however the issue is that I have a 2G hdd and I guess the 6.2.3 version can be suitable. Is there any guide to upgrade from 5.1.3 to 6.2.3 without the need to TurboBoot?

Thanks 

If you have RSP4G/8G it does not support code over 5.3.4

Yes I have a RSP A9K-RSP-4G so as you said I can upgrade only to 5.3.4.

However I guess this is enough for me to enable the modular card as per the datasheet it specifies that A9K-MOD400-TR needs at least Cisco IOS XR 5.3.2.

Trident generation RSP with Tomahawk line card is not a supported combination. You need RSP440 or RSP880.

Hi and thanks for the reply,

Actually looking at each RSP datasheet I notice that only the RSP880 mentions the A9K-MOD400-TR card.

However if you check on the A9K-MOD400-TR datasheet there is no specification or requirement for specific RSP besides the fact " Total bandwidth is dependent on the number and type of RSPs installed".

This is confusing documentation and I am waiting for a confirmation from Cisco members here.

hi Nikola,

indeed, the A9K-MOD400/A9K-MOD200 data sheet is not explicitly stating that the Tomahawk line cards are not supported with A9K-RSP-4G/A9K-RSP-8G. Please refer to BRKARC-2003 from any Cisco Live since 2015, you will find there more details on the compatibility between Tomahawk and previous generations of line cards.

/Aleksandar

Thank you Aleksandar for your reply,

I have seen many Cisco documentation about the possible combinations and I have to say that there are many datasheets that are not very clear.

If you could please make a sum up with me as I have a meeting with Cisco Vendor to decide the possible cards to choose in order to have an increase in the number of 10G interfaces:

Current Situation:

---------------

ASR-9010 Chassis

2x A9K-RSP-4G

2x  A9K-2T20GE-L

IOS-XR 5.1.3

2x ASR-9010-DC power supply

Without any upgrade I cannot use the A9K-MOD400 and A9K-MPA-8x10GE cards.

1-The only modular card that I can go with is the A9K-MOD80-TR( the best would be A9K-MOD160-TR but did not find any info if it is supported). XR 5.1.3 supports both these cards.

The main question here is if A9K-MOD80-TR supports A9K-MPA-8x10GE ? 

2- I can go directly to the A9K-24x10GE-TR(supported by the A9K-RSP-4G and by XR 5.1.3). The main question here is if all the ports are unblocking 10G or with over-subscription?

Upgrade Scenario

----------------

With upgrades I can use both A9K-MOD400 and A9K-MPA-8x10GE cards.

1. I have to go with A9K-RSP880-TR. Minimum software is 5.3.2 to use the modulars but the maximum is 5.3.4 because from documentation from XR 6.0.x and above the A9K-2T20GE-L are no longer mentioned as supported.

The other question is if more power supplies are required?

So the first scenario sound better as the same configuration can be used with an addition of a new card.

The second would be good because I can have newer hardware which will allow to also upgrade later to newer XR version.

Does Cisco follow any strategy of valuing the old hardware in exchange with newer versions?

Thanks again Aleksandar and sorry for the long reply

BR

hi Nikola,

apologies for the delay, I was on PTO. 

The A9K-MPA-8X10GE is not supported on MOD80 (ref.: 

Cisco ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Services Router Interface and Hardware Component Configuration Guide, Release 5.3.x)

The A9K-24x10GE line card is not an oversubscription line card. Each NP controls exactly three 10G ports, which is well within the nominal rate supported by Typhoon NPs.

You can use the power calculator on CCO to see power requirements for each type of card.

Do you really need the A9K-2T20GE line card? It's going to suck a lot of power, occupy a complete LC slot, all for a very small throughput. If you need 1G ports on the asr9k, you could

1. make use of the 1G MPA in a MOD line card (which would probably be an expensive way)
  2. go for a satellite solution
  3. make use of A9K-24X10GE-1G or A9K-48X10GE-1G line card. For this you would need to upgrade to 6.2.3, but as you are upgrading anyway I hope that shouldn't be a challenge.

hope this helps,

Aleksandar

Thank you Aleksandar for your reply,

After checking even with local Cisco Partner the way to go is:
RSP880-LT-TR which supports both A9K-MOD400-TR and A9K-MPA-8x10GE with two power supplies.

Regarding the A9K-2T20GE cards I will keep them as a spare to an other existing ASR-9010.

BR

hi Nikola,

happy to hear that you have found a solution.

/Aleksandar

HI, I would suggest you to order A9K-9010-UPGRADE 

select the A9K-24X10GE-1G-TR  or A9K-44X10GE-1G-TR 
then you will get RSP880-LT-TR and FAN-V2, you MIGHT need to upgrade the power supply to V3

You would need to discard the old cards such as 2T20G, but the trade off should be acceptable
Since those tomahawk are the only card family that support dual rate port

Warning, those card are oversubscribed (1:1.2)

IMHO, avoid any MOD card, those are not only more expensive but also adding more point of failure, the only time I see that card is useful, is when you only need 2x 1x100G port for redundancy