Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR9000 Rate Limited RSP880

DanilZhig
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I am struggling to find information about Rate Limited versions of RSP880 and A9K-MOD200 line cards. Their part numbers are A9K-RSP880-RL-TR and A9K-MOD200RL-TR-B. There is just no information about them in the internen and in open documentation. What I would like to know is if there is anything to consider about this cards apart from the fact that they are rate limited and provide half of the normal bandwidth. These cards are chaper than their non RL counterparts and they are good for Pay As You Grow Approach.

There is also one mistery about A9K-MOD200RL-TR-B. It can't be chosen in CCW during router configuration (we tried 2 routers - ASR9904 and ASR9006), but can only be found as a spare part. Is this card availabe for any systems at all?

Thanks for replies in advance.

Best regards,

Danil

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

hi Danil,

yes, that combination will work like charm.

A9K-RSP880-RL has the same switch fabric ASICs as the non-RL counterpart, but is limited in SW to provide only 440Gbps per slot. WIth a SW license you can unlock the full capacity.

RL range of products are not a standard offering. They were introduced to help customers phase the migration from Typhoon to Tomahawk. Now that I hope to have answered the technical aspects of your question, to get more details about the offering, as well as the conditions and the duration of the program, please do reach out to your account team at Cisco. I'm sure they will be happy to help you.

/Aleksandar

View solution in original post

hi Smail,

ok, I did some more attentive reading on this topic. I have mixed up RSP880-Lite with RSP880-RL.

RSP880-Lite is the one with less CPU cores, less SFP+ ports and more SSD space.

RSP880-RL is totally identical to its non-RL counterpart. You can unleash the full switch fabric capacity with a SW license.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks again for correcting me! :)

/Aleksandar

View solution in original post

26 Replies 26

Aleksandar Vidakovic
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi Danil,

A9K-RSP880-RL compared to its non-RL counterparts has less CPU power (4 cores at 1.8GHz vs 8 cores at 1.9GHz), less SFP+ ports on the face plate (2 vs 4) and a higher capacity SSD (1x128GB vs 2x32GB).

A9K-MOD200RL compared to its non-RL counterparts has the NP throughput limited to 100Gbps. With a special license you can unlock the full throughput without changing the HW.

I'm not sure why the A9K-MOD200RL-TR-B bundle is not available on CCW. It would be the best if you would approach your account team at Cisco for information.

/Aleksandar

Hi Aleksandar,

First of all thank you very much for your reply. It is helpful indeed. It would also be worth understanding, if combination of RSP880-RL and MOD200-RL is supposed to work. From what you have said I deduce that switching fabric wise RL variant is not different from normal RSP880 (although not clear why it is providing 440G instead of 880G per slot in 1+1 scenario). So I expect this combination to work. Am I right? Is there any reference documentation where I can find more information about that (not a single mentioning in datasheets)?

Best regards,

Danil

hi Danil,

yes, that combination will work like charm.

A9K-RSP880-RL has the same switch fabric ASICs as the non-RL counterpart, but is limited in SW to provide only 440Gbps per slot. WIth a SW license you can unlock the full capacity.

RL range of products are not a standard offering. They were introduced to help customers phase the migration from Typhoon to Tomahawk. Now that I hope to have answered the technical aspects of your question, to get more details about the offering, as well as the conditions and the duration of the program, please do reach out to your account team at Cisco. I'm sure they will be happy to help you.

/Aleksandar

Hi Aleksandar,

Knowing that hardware is the same, RL and non-RL, once it is installed, how could I tell which one is on the router?

Best regards

David

PIDs are different, so "sh platform" and "sh inventory" will show the difference.

Hi Aleksandar,

Can't tell the difference... Just on VID field...

Regards

RP/0/RSP1/CPU0:ASR9K_TH#sh plat
Fri Jun 16 13:10:28.184 DST
Node Type State Config State
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0/RSP1/CPU0 A9K-RSP880-SE(Active) IOS XR RUN PWR,NSHUT,MON

RP/0/RSP1/CPU0:ASR9K_TH#sh inventory location 0/RSP1/CPU0
Fri Jun 16 13:13:25.557 DST
NAME: "module 0/RSP1/CPU0", DESCR: "ASR9K Route Switch Processor with 880G/slot Fabric and 32GB"
PID: A9K-RSP880-SE, VID: V02, SN: FO...

_______

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:inet-mex-est-4#sh platform
Tue Jun 16 10:14:41.767 UTC
Node Type State Config State
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0/RSP0/CPU0 A9K-RSP880-SE(Active) IOS XR RUN PWR,NSHUT,MON

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:inet-mex-est-34#sh inventory location 0/RSP0/CPU0
Tue Jun 16 10:15:15.597 UTC
NAME: "module 0/RSP0/CPU0", DESCR: "ASR9K Route Switch Processor with 880G/slot Fabric and 32GB"
PID: A9K-RSP880-SE, VID: V03, SN: FO...

My apologies for providing incorrect information. There is indeed no way to see whether the RSP is of the -RL flavour. Version number is not an indication of the -RL flavour. This product has a trust based license, allowing customers to make use of the RSP880 at much lower price. In return we ask for some flexibility on identifying the -RL flavour RSP880. :) You will probably have to keep track of the serial numbers in your database.

regards,

/Aleksandar

Thank you Aleksandar for clarifiying 

Regards

David 

Hi all,

Can I mix a RSP400-TR and RSP800TR-RL on the same 9010 chassis?. I supose not, but I need to confirm.

Thanks a lot.

You are right, this is not a supported combination. Both can be active at the same time because we do support a seamless migration from RSP440 to RSP880. However, the two running in parallel in production, this is not supported as deployment model.

hth,

/Aleksandar

Thanks Aleksandar for the prompt response!.

Can you sendme a link with the "seamless migration process"

King Regards

Diego

Thanks a lot!!

hi Danil,

I did some more attentive reading on this topic. I have mixed up RSP880-Lite with RSP880-RL.

RSP880-Lite is the one with less CPU cores, less SFP+ ports and more SSD space.

RSP880-RL is totally identical to its non-RL counterpart. You can unleash the full switch fabric capacity with a SW license.

Apologies for the confusion.

/Aleksandar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: