Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR9000v Satellite with non-direct ICL

alvaro.orrego
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has tried to connect a 9000v to a ASR9K dual home with an ICL going over a DWDM 1G or 10G clear channel froma diferent vendor or a 1G or 10G point-to-point l2vpn over other network.

I ask this because i want to replace an old 7200 on a remote site that currently goes over two distinct l2vpn that another carrier gives me between my sites and i want to use the same transmission to connect the 9000v to my two ASR9006 on my datacenter as a dual home solution. This will give some kind of device redundancy to my solution. By the way, the other carriers node is not near and I have two ~14km fiber going there, so no SX or LX optics for me in this case. Maybe EX or ZX?

I'm also thinking in setting up a ring of 9000v connected to the same dual home with ASR9006, this time with 10G links (or maybe 20 if possible) over my current DWDM network, which would mean point to point 10G channels between sites.

My ASR9K network is currently running 5.3.4. SP1 btw.

I appreciate very much all the help you can give me answering my questions. Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

xthuijs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi alvaro,

yes this is a supported design.

the ICL links can either be an l2vpn vpws service or a dwdm connection.

note however that if you are using colored optics that are tunable, you may need to "fix" the 'color' in the satellite config first to have the connection come up.

fixed wavelength dont have that requirement obviously as there is only one color.

when you are using an l2vpn circuit, make sure of its reliability, since on the ICL are keepalives that re required for the satellite to see its host.

xander

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

xthuijs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi alvaro,

yes this is a supported design.

the ICL links can either be an l2vpn vpws service or a dwdm connection.

note however that if you are using colored optics that are tunable, you may need to "fix" the 'color' in the satellite config first to have the connection come up.

fixed wavelength dont have that requirement obviously as there is only one color.

when you are using an l2vpn circuit, make sure of its reliability, since on the ICL are keepalives that re required for the satellite to see its host.

xander

Thanks for your answer. I really appreciate.

I have a few more questions that I couldn't find in the FAQ.

L2vpn ILC. Any minimum bandwidth required for keeping the connection alive, besides user traffic?

Dual Home Simple ring topology. How many satellites can I chain up on that ring? is there a maximum number?

Remote upgrade. How long does the 9000v takes to boot after it reloads when performing an upgrade?

Are 10G ports available for access now in XR 5.3.4 or later?

Thanks!

I saw a question on the number of sats in a ring by mail, but I dont see it here on teh article anymore when logged in.

so let me try this:

~~~~

Thanks for your answer. I really appreciate.

I have a few more questions that I couldn't find in the FAQ.

Dual Home Simple ring topology. How many satellites can I chain up on that ring? is there a maximum number?

Remote upgrade. How long does the 9000v takes to boot after it reloads when performing an upgrade?

Are 10G ports available for access now in XR 5.3.4 or later?

~~~

Answers:

No. of satellite rings 40
No. of satellites in a ring 20
No. of hub-spoke per host 64
No. of satellites in L2 fabric connected per host 200

the 10G ports ont eh 9000v can only be used as uplink.
For 10G access, look at the ncs5000 as satellite.

xander

Thanks a lot for the info Xander. I have no Idea what happend with the post, but your answer is of great help.

Now I have two more questions.

1) Is it possible to mix topologies. I mean, chain up one or more satellites form another satellite that is part of a ring

2) If I choose to use Dual Host (not nv cluster), do I have to get nv satellite licences for every satellite on both hosts?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: