cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR9001 as an Internet Gateway Router

lwlim8888
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have the following questions for ASR9001 as an Internet Gateway Router and would appreciate for your feedback.

1) Does it able to handle full BGP feed (700K+ routes) with 2 and maybe up to 4 upstream provider?

2) What is the convergence time that I can expect in the event that there's connectivity failure with any one of the upstream provider?

2) If I'm using it for IBGP, EBGP and MPLS VPN, I believe that i'll only need the license A9K-9001-AIP-LIC? Am I right?

Thank you

3 Replies 3

Eddie Chami
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1) Yes easily. The fib can do 2M+ and RIB can do more than that. 

2) Should happen within seconds 

3) Correct. 

smailmilak
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I think that you ASR 9001 can handle full BGP even with multiple upstream providers. Only the best ones will be installed in FIB.

HW is Typoon based and here you can check some numbers

Here is a great doc made by Xander where you find out more:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/105496/asr9000xr-understanding-route-scale#Typhoon_Specific_513323

Convergence time was around 30-40 seconds without PIC Edge because the router has to change the next-hop for every prefix and since it's more than 600K it's a long process.

Using PIC Edge we got convergence time around 5-7 seconds with Tomahawk HW.

If you are using MPLS VPN features you will need IVRF license for 8 VRF and AIP for 4K VRF. That is all you need.

Hi Eddie and smailmilak,

Thank you for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: