Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR9001 route policy source/destination prefix set questions

Hi All,

We are very new to ASR 9001 XR platform, which we are bit confused route policy source/destination in if statement. We actually raised tech support, and they could not explain properly as well.

say, I have a eBGP session established in between router A, and B. on the router B. i have a prefix-set 1 to control the routes which i want to receive from router A, and i have another prefix-set 2 to control the routes which I want to send to router A.

in normal IOS way, we can either make prefix-list in/out, or use route map.

in XR, I understand that we need create route-policy, and because we want to control both direction routes on router B. we will have to make 23 route policy which for both IN and OUT direction.

Can I please ask in this situation, should we use if statement with source, or destination in prefix-set? or we use both IN/OUT direction policy route with IF statement for destination in prefix-set.

that is the part i am bit confused.

thank you if anyone could clarify with me.

Andy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

thecrev
Level 1
Level 1

Hey,

I would use 'destination' in the routing policy for route advertisements to router A. That's what works for me. I've never tried using 'source' before.

I wish I could be more helpful on the routes that you want router B to accept from router A, but I usually just use a 'pass' policy for this. I suppose you can try 'destination' and 'source', to see what actually ends up getting populated in router B's table.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Tim.Yu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 

This is controlled via "in/out" when you attaching the policy on the peer. Below is one of the example:

neighbor 3.3.3.13
remote-as 6000
address-family ipv4 unicast
route-policy Inter_AS_in in
route-policy Inter_AS_out out
next-hop-self
soft-reconfiguration inbound always

Suggest you read this material.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/service-providers-documents/asr9000-xr-understanding-and-using-rpl-route-policy-language/ta-p/3117050

Hi ytpbit,

Yes, i understand it controls by IN/OUT in route policy,

my question was, in the route policy config, we use IF statement follow with 'source' or 'destination' as and then prefix-set to apply certain routes filter.

so, base on the case i post, on both in/out route policy, should i use source, or destination to filter both received and advertised routes?

e.g.

route-policy xyz-advertised-routes-filter

if destination/source in prefix-set-X then

pass

endif

route-policy received-routes-filter

if destination/source in prefix-set-Y then

pass

endif

Andy

Hi 

This does really confusing.

My understanding is:

Destination is the prefix/route you can see in the routing table

Source is the IP address of neighbour the prefix learnt.

So I suppose you use destination, not source in your case.

I implemented lots of cases of RPL, but seldom meet a case need source so far.

thecrev
Level 1
Level 1

Hey,

I would use 'destination' in the routing policy for route advertisements to router A. That's what works for me. I've never tried using 'source' before.

I wish I could be more helpful on the routes that you want router B to accept from router A, but I usually just use a 'pass' policy for this. I suppose you can try 'destination' and 'source', to see what actually ends up getting populated in router B's table.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: