cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR9010 IOS XR Upgrade: 4.2.1 to 5.3.2

steve.smith
Level 1
Level 1

I'm running in to a problem moving my ASR9010's from 4.2.1 to 5.3.2. I can get all the PIEs and SMUs installed but when I attempt to activate I get the following error:

Error:    Cannot proceed with the activation because of the following package incompatibilities:
Error:      asr9k-fpd-4.2.1 needs iosxr-infra-4.2.1, or equivalent, to be active on the same nodes.
Error:      asr9k-fpd-4.2.1 needs iosxr-os-4.2.1, or equivalent, to be active on the same nodes.
Error:    Suggested steps to resolve this:
Error:     - check the installation instructions.
Error:     - activate or deactivate the specified packages on the specified nodes.

I think I have all the required packages installed. I've read through the install docs and release notes. I disabled auto fdp update per the install instructions. I'd like to avoid a step-up upgrade or turboboot install. Any ideas?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Bryan Garland
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Steve,

Can you post you currently installed pies?  Show install active summ/show install inactive summ.

The upgrade procedures are posted here:

http://www.cisco.com/web/Cisco_IOS_XR_Software/index.html

But what you are seeing looks like just a pie mismatch.  

Bryan

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Bryan Garland
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Steve,

Can you post you currently installed pies?  Show install active summ/show install inactive summ.

The upgrade procedures are posted here:

http://www.cisco.com/web/Cisco_IOS_XR_Software/index.html

But what you are seeing looks like just a pie mismatch.  

Bryan

It was a mismatch, I had to include the FPD pie. This caused a rather large headache as the RSP-4G only has 1.6GB of usable space. I couldn't fit the existing files + the upgrade files + the FPD pie. I really wanted to avoid a turboboot so I worked around it by deactivating and removing all pies except for mini and k9. I was then able to install and activate the 5.3.2 mini, k9, and fpd. After the upgrade and reload I removed the inactive pies and smus. This created enough free space to install and activate the other 5.3.2 pies and smus I needed.

Steve, you can get yourself some additional diskspace (~300M) if you repartition your disks now on 5.3.2, its a hitless operation, but does take 30 mins or so. Your 1.6G will become 1.9.

In 5.3 (and 5.1.x, 5.2. ) we have a feature that allows you to make either disk0 or disk1 bootup, so the unused 1.9G disk1 can be used for your next upgrade. You won't have to remove smus or go through the pain you just went through. 

Hi Good Day! I'm contacting cause I'm not clear the steps for Software upgrade in ASR9001 and ASR9010, these are using IOS XR 5.1 and I'll execute an upgrade to IOS XR6.4, I'm planning the following:   IOS XR 5.1 -> IOS XR 5.3.4 -> IOS XR 6.0 -> IOS XR 6.4.2   I understand that I can use the Turboboot from IOS XR 5.3.4 to IOS XR 6.4.2 but may with this there more risk.   What do you think?   Thanks in advanced.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: