Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR9K and Power Entry Module V2

Hello,

My customer has four ASR9010 they bought about two years ago, and they cam with only 2 Power Supplies (Version 1).

Now, we are planning to upgrade the RSP and the linecards to Thyphoon models and I have the following concerns:

1) Do Thyphoon linecards and the new RSP440 require PEM V2?

2) Can I upgrade PEM V1 to PEM V2 on an old ASR9010 chassis that came with PEM V1?

3) If the previous answer is yes, what components should I change in the chassis to perform the upgrade.

Thanks

Jacobo Schneider

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

rrahul
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jacobo,

The PEMv2 and the v2 Power supplies are only required if you need additional power in the system. Based on the cards you plan to deploy in the chassis, you will need to calculate the power requirements and then determine if you require the new power supplies and new PEM.

An ASR9006 or an ASR9010 that came with the PEMv1 can be upgraded. You will need to replace the old PEM with the new PEMv2 and also replace the Power supplies with the new v2 Power supplies. In addition to this, you will need to run a shell script ("run pwrmod_change") to change the EEPROM values before you replace the PEM and Power supplies. The script is available from software versions 4.2.3 and 4.3.0. Check out the following CCO doc for more details on the script,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/asr9000/hardware/installation/guide/asr9kIGmaintaining.html#wp1323197

Also, a v2 Fan tray exists which is only required if you are using high powered optics. Take a look at Xander's page for more info on this,

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-33778#V2_Fan_tray

Hope this answers your query.

Thanks and regards,

Rahul.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

rrahul
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jacobo,

The PEMv2 and the v2 Power supplies are only required if you need additional power in the system. Based on the cards you plan to deploy in the chassis, you will need to calculate the power requirements and then determine if you require the new power supplies and new PEM.

An ASR9006 or an ASR9010 that came with the PEMv1 can be upgraded. You will need to replace the old PEM with the new PEMv2 and also replace the Power supplies with the new v2 Power supplies. In addition to this, you will need to run a shell script ("run pwrmod_change") to change the EEPROM values before you replace the PEM and Power supplies. The script is available from software versions 4.2.3 and 4.3.0. Check out the following CCO doc for more details on the script,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/asr9000/hardware/installation/guide/asr9kIGmaintaining.html#wp1323197

Also, a v2 Fan tray exists which is only required if you are using high powered optics. Take a look at Xander's page for more info on this,

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-33778#V2_Fan_tray

Hope this answers your query.

Thanks and regards,

Rahul.

Ahmed Moshref
Level 1
Level 1

1) Do Thyphoon linecards and the new RSP440 require PEM V2?

No

2) Can I upgrade PEM V1 to PEM V2 on an old ASR9010 chassis that came with PEM V1?

you have to use Chassis V2 , it have 8 slots for power not 6 PN:

ASR-9010-AC-V2 or

ASR-9010-DC-V2

You have another option of changing the chassis power shelf and power supplies as V2  have different form factor than V1

3) If the previous answer is yes, what components should I change in the chassis to perform the upgrade.

as said you will have to change the chassis itself or upgrade the power Shelf (accordingly changing the chassis)

Thank You

Ahmed Moshref

Thanks rrahul and Ahmaed,

However now I'm confused with the contradictory answers.

I originally thought that the upgrade was not possible, however I found the following part number that makes me think that I can change the Power Entry Module that houses the V2 power supplies:

A9K-DC-PEM-V2=

Could clarify me what would be the use of this part number and if I can make use of it to upgrade a chassis from V1 to V2.

My intention is try to homologate the hardware across my customer's network, given that they are going to make additions in terms of linecards on existing chassis and also adding new nodes in the network.

Thanks in advanced

Hi Jacobo,

Thanks for your mail.

Please take a look at the CCO link that I pasted in my earlier response which includes info on the script required to convert between the v1 and v2. The script provides 4 options to convert between on the 6 and 10 slot chassis. Let me paste the contents for you from that link and the 4 options available for conversion,

Changing Between Version 1, Version 2, AC, and DC Power Modules

Follow these steps when changing between version 1, version 2, AC, and DC power modules:

Please enter the number that corresponds to the power supply type that is being 
migrated to. Do not enter the current power system information, use the future power 
system type.

1)      AC power supply version 1, fits 3 across in power shelf ASR-9010-AC

2)      DC power supply version 1, fits 3 across in power shelf ASR-9010-AC

3)      AC power supply version 2, fits 4 across in power shelf ASR-9010-AC

4)      DC power supply version 2, fits 4 across in power shelf ASR-9010-AC

Thanks and regards,

Rahul.

Thanks Rahul,

I have another question:

In a V1 Chassis, can I mix 1.5KW DC Power Module with the 2KW DC Module in the same chassis??

Best Regards,

Jacobo

Hi Jacobo,

Yes, you can have the 1.5KW DC and the 2KW DC in the same V1 chassis. Only point to remember is that the new v2 DC power supply comes only in the 2KW option.

Thanks and regards,

Rahul.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: