Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR9K BGP Debug

I am having trouble establishing a neighbor on my ASR9006 with a Brocade device and cannot find any information on what I am seeing in the debug output. Can anyone tell me what the following messages are indicating? This is the only ouput I get from 'debug bgp all'

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:Nov 12 13:08:55.331 : bgp[1059]: [default-event]: Performing BGP generic scan
RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:Nov 12 13:08:55.333 : bgp[1059]: [default-event]: Finished BGP generic scan
RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:Nov 12 13:08:55.384 : bgp[1059]: [default-crit]: IDB: Tmr expired: 'BG'
RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:Nov 12 13:08:55.384 : bgp[1059]: [default-crit]: IDB: Tmr started: 'BG', 60 sec
RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:Nov 12 13:08:56.670 : bgp[1059]: [default-iowt]: bgp_io_write_nbr_ver_timer_process: nbr_ver_timer handler: Empty ilist!! : Returning...
RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:Nov 12 13:09:11.671 : bgp[1059]: [default-iowt]: bgp_io_write_nbr_ver_timer_process: nbr_ver_timer handler: Empty ilist!! : Returning...
RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:Nov 12 13:09:26.672 : bgp[1059]: [default-iowt]: bgp_io_write_nbr_ver_timer_process: nbr_ver_timer handler: Empty ilist!! : Returning...
RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:Nov 12 13:09:41.673 : bgp[1059]: [default-iowt]: bgp_io_write_nbr_ver_timer_process: nbr_ver_timer handler: Empty ilist!! : Returning...

6 Replies 6

Vinit Jain
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Could you please share the configuration frmo the ASR9k router. on IOS XR, you can actually look at detail information by looking at traces. The traces provide you with debug like outputs on the events that occurred.

Can you also share the show bgp trace event and show bgp trace error command output.

Also, please share the below command outputs:

- show process bgp

- show bgp ipv4 unicast summary

- show process blocked

Would request you to please share the outputs in a file and attach in this thread.

Regards

Vinit

Thanks
--Vinit

If you could add the admin show install active summary to that, and a debug bgp io [vrf <x>].

Are you trying to establish a peering in the global or in a vrf, and v4 or a v6 session?

also is the TCP session getting established or it is not initiating/getting a session at all?

If there is a tcb, it would also be good to that the details from that:

show bgp neighbor <> detail

and show tcp brief | i :179

locate the local or neighbor entry to get the PCB (first column) and do a :

0x10188ed0 0x60000000      0      0  10.86.188.99:42434     128.107.239.102:179    ESTAB

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:A9K-BNG#show tcp det pcb 0x10188ed0
Fri Nov 13 09:05:32.780 EDT

==============================================================
Connection state is ESTAB, I/O status: 0, socket status: 0
Established at Mon Nov  2 12:40:51 2015

xander

Thank you both for your responses. I figured out my issue - it was on the Brocade end :)

In any case, I appreciate the info and will refer to these pointers in the future. That being said, is there anywhere that I may have overlooked to get better interpretation of debugs similar to what I posted. I could not find anything on those messages.

-Tim

Hello Tim

Wtih IOS XR and NX-OS, you have options to look at traces to figure out what is going on. Though, you can still run debugs like what Alex mentioned above.

Other important log to collect for detailed investigation is-

- show tech routing bgp

The show tech will include basic set of logs along with all the relevant traces.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Vinit

PS: Please rate useful posts. Also, please mark the question as answered if you think your query has been answered.

Thanks
--Vinit

hey tim, thanks for letting us know!

yeah the debug bgp io would help a lot, a config, a show bgp <neigh> detail and show tcp tcb would give some indication as to where to look next.

for all our education what was the issue on the brocade that you ran into I would like to understand better and maybe suggest a better command (improvement) to help identify this easier/faster.

cheers!

xander

There was a COPP style ACL on the Brocade which I had updated appropriately to permit the new BGP session, but did not rebind. Without rebinding, the update was not applied and the session was not permitted. I've had little exposure to Brocade devices.

I had limited ability to troubleshoot on the Brocade side since it is production and was attempting to narrow down the issue from the ASR end which is not yet prod. I will be replacing the Brocades with ASRs over the coming months.