Views
Helpful
Replies

[ASR9K] - Ingress ACL on GRE tunnel traffic

Sam Preston
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have an ASR9K on which I will configure a GRE tunnel towards a remote destination.
My problem is : for security reasons, I would like to filter the IP traffic entering my router via this GRE tunnel to deny unwanted TCP ports. Is this something that is supported by this platform ? On the "tunnel-ip" interface, I am able to configure an "ip access-group ... in" but how does it behave ? Does it filter the traffic after the GRE decapsulation (ie : IP traffic) or before (ie : GRE traffic) ?

My asumption would be that, if I apply a filter on the physical interface, I can only filter GRE vs non-GRE traffic but if I apply this filter on the GRE interface itself, maybe it will filter the IP traffic embedded into the GRE encapsulation.

Is this asumption correct please ?

Thanks !

1 Reply 1

Eddie Chami
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sam,

Your understanding is correct, an ACL can be applied on a GRE interface(Ingress/Egress) just like any standard interface, it will act upon the traffic in the GRE tunnel.

Regards

Eddie.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: