cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

[ASR9K nvEdge]How to decide who will be primary DSC after cluster rebuild?

hsien-ping tang
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a question about ASR9K nvEdge cluster.

Normally,when the EOBC & IRL link are disconnected, the cluster will enter into "split node" status.

each rack will think itself is primary DSC.

My question is that after the EOBC & IRL are reconneted(cluster rebuild), whick one (rack0 or rack1) will be the primary DSC? and why?

Thanks,

Tom

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes that's perfect thanks for the details. This is the expected behavior. In fact this is how we will be achieving nv ssu. Which is a new feature on the roadmap. What happens here is rack0 goes down and it sends out beacons while booting on eobc(your step 5) finds that there is a responding DSC (Rack1) gets the sw from rack 1 and reboots and joins the cluster as nonDSC.

Have you had a chance to review the nv edge deployment guide? It has these details.

Eddie.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hemachander Janardhan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Tom,

By design Rack0 will be preferred as primary DSC.

~Chander

hsien-ping tang
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Chander

Thanks for response,
I have tried that scenario at lab, YES, Rack0 will win the primary DSC as you say.
But I tried another scenario, and it make me confuse.
I reload the Rack0 BEFORE rebuilding nVEdge cluster, Rack1 win the primary DSC.
Is it correct?
How does Rack1 detect that Rack0 is reloaded while EOBC & IRL are disconnected at the given time?

Tom

Walk me through the steps from the beginning and we will be able to explain the reason.

Eddie.

Hi Eddie

1. Check cluster status(Rack0 is primary DSC, Rack1 is backup DSC)
2.separate cluster by disconnect EOBC & IRL
3. Rack0 & Rack1 think itself is primary DSC
4. Reload Rack0
5. Re-connect EOBC
6. Rack0 reload again
7. Rack0 join cluster successfully
8. Re-connect IRL
9. Now Rack1 is primary DSC , Rack0 becomes backup DSC.

Yes that's perfect thanks for the details. This is the expected behavior. In fact this is how we will be achieving nv ssu. Which is a new feature on the roadmap. What happens here is rack0 goes down and it sends out beacons while booting on eobc(your step 5) finds that there is a responding DSC (Rack1) gets the sw from rack 1 and reboots and joins the cluster as nonDSC.

Have you had a chance to review the nv edge deployment guide? It has these details.

Eddie.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: