Views
Helpful
Replies

asr9k SW installatiion

Arjun Dabol
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am in process of installing XR image on asr9k and I have a tar file on my laptop. what i need to do in order to install this on asr9k. i will be connecting on management ethernet : I have a tar file with me and as per my understanding :

# install add tar tftp://<ip add of local laptop>/<SW file name>

my Q is :

1. this command will install the OS or just put the image on router ?

2. if this will just copy the image on router, where will it go ? on disk0 ?

3. Now in order to install one by one packages ..is it correct that I should use 'install activate disk0:<pie 1> <pie 2> ?

thanks in adv

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes...this will work...One minor change for "install add /harddisk:/ASR9K-iosxr-px-5.3.3.tar". You need to use "install add tar /harddisk:/ASR9K-iosxr-px-5.3.3.tar"

Also, for install activate, you can use the install id of "install add": "install activate id <>"

Thanks,
Santosh

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I don't know the answer.

But I did find this great article about the entire process.

Upgrading and Managing Software on Cisco ASR 9000 Series Router

Santosh Sharma
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Arjun,

1. this command will install the OS or just put the image on router ?

This will just add the binaries to the router. You need to "install activate <pie names>" to activate the OS.

2. if this will just copy the image on router, where will it go ? on disk0 ?

Copy can be done anywhere in the router(disk0, harddisk). With copy command you need to specify the destination location in the router

3. Now in order to install one by one packages ..is it correct that I should use 'install activate disk0:<pie 1> <pie 2> ?

Yeah, this will activate the packages. However you can use regular expressions to avoid pasting long list of pies. Something like "install activate disk0:*5.3.3*:, incase you want to activate 5.3.3.

Thanks,
Santosh

Hi Santosh,

Many Thanks -

can you plz confirm if these 3 commands will do the job ?

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ios(admin)copy tftp://<IP ADD>/FileName harddisk:

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ios(admin)#install add /harddisk:/ASR9K-iosxr-px-5.3.3.tar

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ios(admin)#install activate disk0:asr9k-services-px-5.3.3 disk0:asr9k-services-infra-5.3.3 disk0:asr9k-fpd-px-5.3.3 disk0:asr9k-optic-px-5.3.3 disk0:asr9k-doc-px-5.3.3

thanks in adv

Yes...this will work...One minor change for "install add /harddisk:/ASR9K-iosxr-px-5.3.3.tar". You need to use "install add tar /harddisk:/ASR9K-iosxr-px-5.3.3.tar"

Also, for install activate, you can use the install id of "install add": "install activate id <>"

Thanks,
Santosh

Hi Santosh

Small clarification - I see a USB port as will on router.

can you please tell, Which command can be used to transfer file from usb to harddisk.

Thankyou

Hi Arjun,

Copy usb:/<file_name> harddisk:/ can be used to copy the file from usb to harddisk:.

Thanks,
Santosh

Hi Santosh

today I tried to use USB on a 9k but looks like there are some limitations with resoect to USB file system. Do i need to have a particular file system on USB drive ? how do I do that ?

Format it FAT32 and it should be fine.

hi philip

i tried but asr9k still did not recognise usb. looks like it needs a linux file system..now sure how to get it.

my pen drive does not show FAT 16 also..

The solution don t work.

show media

copy disk2:/file harddisk:/file

AARON WEINTRAUB
Level 1
Level 1

for 3) you can also admin install activate id X where X is the install operation in which you added the packages.  This can save you some time if you installed several pies in one operation.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: